Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Which SDK for N97 mini development?

Greetings,

I'm going to try and install SDKs again. Got one new problem: lost my 5800 but got N97 mini. The question is now should I download generic 5th Edition SDK or maybe device specific N97 SDK?

Please note there is (could be) difference between N97 and N97 mini. Please reply ONLY if you really KNOW whether "N97" SDK is compatible with "N97 mini" device

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N97
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N97_mini

Cheers,

--jouni

Super Contributor

Re: Which SDK for N97 mini development?

Hello,

45 views and no answers! The question should not be that difficult: when my target device is N97 mini, not N97, should I try to use N97 specific SDK or general 5th edition SDK.

Hopeful,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Moderator

I have no N97 mini (opted for the 32 gigs instead ;-), and you have explicitly asked people to not answer by guess...
    If you check the release notes of the N97 SDK, it says that actually it is compatible with regular S60 5th edition devices too, just adds support for some N97-specific stuff. And those extras (homescreen, out of memory something, and at least a 3rd one I do not remember now - and the keyboard of course) are actually present in the N97 mini, so personally I would not worry too much and go for the N97 SDK.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I have no N97 mini (opted for the 32 gigs instead ;-), and you have explicitly asked people to not answer by guess...
    So I got exactly what I asked for

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    If you check the release notes of the N97 SDK, it says that actually it is compatible with regular S60 5th edition devices too, just adds support for some N97-specific stuff. And those extras (homescreen, out of memory something, and at least a 3rd one I do not remember now - and the keyboard of course) are actually present in the N97 mini, so personally I would not worry too much and go for the N97 SDK.
    Ok, I'll try N97 SDK! I was thinking that since N97 is supposed to get firmware update to add N97 mini features, it could be more or less compatible. Just wondering whether I should wait for SDK update or not.

Thanx,

--jouni

You can go ahead and use N97 SDK for that purpose.There is a small change in the N97 mini keyboard structure when compared to N97. And there is a section added in the N97 help(Introduction -> Nokia future product QWERTY 3x13)which may help you in this regard.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The Nokia N97 SDK does not have support for some of the Nokia N97 v2.0 or Nokia N97 Mini software features. You can still use it to develop your home screen widgets (native) or, if not interested in that, you cna simply use the S60 5th Edition platform SDK.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite