Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Does anyone experience slooowness with 1.9.7?

Greetings,

Getting back to PyS60 development after 2 months break. Just tried running Sensor Analyzer (using Sensor Framework) in N97 mini and was horrified to see how slow it was. Screen update rate was about 5 frames per second.

The same code worked ok in 5800... Same CPU, same Symbian OS, what could be the difference? Has anyone else tried N97 mini with PyS60 1.9.7? Would some older version be better?

Worried about PyS60 1.9.8,

--jouni

Re: Does anyone experience slooowness with 1.9.7?

I was just about to ask if there is a faster alternative to blit(), cause even scrolling a simple bitmap through the screen is horribly slow. Is Python really limited to drawing static images?

BTW, I'm using a different device, but still canvas drawing is very slow.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by uhm57 View Post
    I was just about to ask if there is a faster alternative to blit(), cause even scrolling a simple bitmap through the screen is horribly slow. Is Python really limited to drawing static images?

BTW, I'm using a different device, but still canvas drawing is very slow.
    It used to be really fast, no problems even with earlier PyS60 1.9.x releases. Just the last 2 releases exposed some serious defect. So bad the team had to make a speedup hack with begin_redraw - end_redraw combination. This does speed up, but not to what it used to be... The "solution" seems to be to focus on minimizing screen update to, well, most minimal as in updated area and frequency. This is not what I would expect from python, I have to say.

Wondering, if ripping off scriptext would help...

Worried,

--jouni having wondered silently a while now why Jukka Laurila actually left Nokia August 2009 and if current problems in PyS60 1.9.x have any relation to his leaving (before or after) but guessing the answer will never be known and thus focusing on active waiting of PyS60 1.9.8 improvements

Regular Contributor

I have asked this question before a while back.

I initially have run into the slowness when testing the sample ball script on an N97. However last weekend I installed 1.9.7 on N95-4 and the same ball script runs just a tad slower than with 1.4.5 code base.

So could it be something with the N97 family of phones?

Raf
    http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development-blog

I have a device from Samsung, and blit() still works very slowly there. The one thing they have in common with N97 is that they are both touch-enabled devices, while N95 isn't. So, could it be something related to touch support that slows down graphics output?

Regular Contributor

But that would not explain why JOM's 5800 is running fine.

Btw, JOM, it worries me that you are also worrying. There hasn't been a lot of movement and bug fixing in the runtime lately and I just hope Nokia will not let it stagnate and die.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by raf1hh View Post
    But that would not explain why JOM's 5800 is running fine.
    I lost it about 2 months ago, so cannot check anymore. I updated Sensor Analyser to use Sensor Framework and just before getting it ready for release, my ex-boss asked all the phones back. I am positive it did run nicely, was very happy with performance and built-in filters.

...not so sure anymore Btw currently have N82 (best phone I've ever used) and N97 mini. N93 would desperately need firmware upgrade, but it's not supported anymore. Best hardware I have...

Quote Originally Posted by raf1hh View Post
    Btw, JOM, it worries me that you are also worrying. There hasn't been a lot of movement and bug fixing in the runtime lately and I just hope Nokia will not let it stagnate and die.
    Yep, been thinking whether I would dare to branch it and start fixing defects which annoy me most: listbox, missing system events, more control into sensors etc. Unfortunately right now I use Macbook at work and at home Microsoft Vista == cannot install SDKs in any machine. Just tried to install Qt for Maemo package, no luck. Guess I need to take some Computer Basics training

Cheers,

--jouni

Regular Contributor

JOM,

I have N97 0.5, N97 1.0 and 3rd FP1 SDKs running on Windows 7 for over 2 months (no issues). The only thing I had to do is disable UAC and set the compatibility level on the emulator to Winodws XP SP3.

Btw, whatever happened to the community edition of 1.4.5?