Discussion Board

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Difference in payment and estimated revenue

Nokia has just sent some payment yesterday.
    After reading the FAQ-s, my understanding was that payment will be done based on all sales until 31th of October.
    The actual total payment I received so far is only 57% of the "Estimated revenue" calculated until the very same day.
    Could someone please, explain?
    Thank you!

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gafgafgaf View Post
    Nokia has just sent some payment yesterday.
    After reading the FAQ-s, my understanding was that payment will be done based on all sales until 31th of October.
    The actual total payment I received so far is only 57% of the "Estimated revenue" calculated until the very same day.
    Could someone please, explain?
    Thank you!
    My only help is to refer you toe earlier FAQ which is
    Due to the slower rate of payments made by carriers to Nokia, the payout that went out on October 30th DOES NOT INCLUDE carrier revenue. As such, this payout is, in some cases, significantly below the estimated revenue shown in the Ovi Publish tool.
    This suggests that this is credit card revenue not operator revenue (SMS payment)

also states:-
    Q) It’s good that you’ll be making payments on a monthly basis and lowering the payout threshold but how come my payment this period doesn’t match what I see in the Ovi Publish estimated revenue metrics?
    A) The numbers shown in the estimated revenue metrics includes sales data (from credit card and operator billing). The payout for this period includes only revenues received via credit card. Future payments will include both credit card and operator billing.
    IMHO this means you will get another payment for SMS operator revenue.
    To give an example this means you will *NOT* have most of U.K. revenue, because SMS is the preferred method of payment and only method for many people who hold debit cards not credit cards.

Further to this there has been discussion else where that that the 50% taken by operator for up to 2 euros, make the 5 euros the minimum sustainable price because the the operator mark down

from T & C section 4.3.2
    For Content priced at or below 1.99 Euros (€ 1.99), fixed aggregator billing costs will be calculated at fifty percent (50%) of the purchase price paid for Your Content after all applicable taxes, returns, refunds and bad debt expenses are deducted. For Content priced at or above 2.00 Euros (€ 2.00), but less than or equal to 2.99 Euros (€ 2.99), fixed aggregator billing costs will be calculated at forty-five percent (45%) of the purchase price paid for Your Content after all applicable taxes, returns, refunds and bad debt expenses are deducted. For Content priced at or above 3.00 Euros (€ 3.00), fixed aggregator billing costs will be calculated at forty percent (40%) of the purchase price paid by End-Users after all applicable taxes, returns, refunds and bad debt expenses are deducted.

Hope this helps
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by spol View Post
    We finally got our remittance notice from Nokia this evening. The difference between estimated revenue as per the Ovi website and the payment is huge.
    Our estimated revenues are 64% greater than the payment value for the third quarter. Has anyone else experienced this? How could it be so large?
    This is horrible if it is true. I have trust in Nokia bringing up their word and following through on their 70% commission. My estimated revenue is what i hope to receive for payment. I believe NOKIA will do their best.

Publishers will receive December payments soon.
    Could someone please, tell, what is the corresponding sales period?
    And does it contain operator sales, etc?

Regular Contributor

We have one app with only credit card billing selected, instead of both credit card and operator billing together. Credit card billing is not supported by some operators and they insist on customers using operator billing.

I thought it might be interesting to see how selecting only credit card billing when publishing an app effected the operator revenue share. So, I'm looking at the percentage of revenue we receive after the operator takes their chunk (plus taxes etc) and how selecting only credit card billing changes the this revenue split.

The results show that it was a pretty pointless exercise in our case.

For the app that supported both operator billing and credit card billing, our estimated revenue is 49% of the total sales revenue.
    For the app that supported only credit card billing, our estimated revenue is also 49% of the total sales revenue.

This 49% of revenue is reduced by 30% when Ovi takes their 30% the estimated revenue; we will receive around 35% of the total revenue.

A 70% revenue share is impossible in reality. The real percentage is half that advertised by Nokia/Ovi. I noticed that the 70% revenue share message (complete with *) has been removed from the publish.ovi.com homepage.

(Sorry to all those hard working people in Nokia if this comes across as Nokia bashing but the point remains)

We just got the first payment from Nokia Store. Our price point is at 5e and we got 1.22e per sold item. Ofcourse this is just estimation since the payment didn't have any information on what time the payment was and did it also include operator payments. The payment was about 50% what is shows as an estimation on developer account. I will have to pay income tax from this 1.22e, so the end revenue which I can use myself is somewhere, 0.85e per sold 5e item. HEH HEH.

Luckily this is only hobby for me, otherwise it would end here.

Oh, btw. If you remember the classic experimentation where two people sit next to each other, the other one is given some sum of money. He has to give part of the money to the guy next him. If the second guy accepts the money, they both get to keep the money. If the second guy refuses, then neither one gets anything. The first guy has to make a fair offer in oder to get anything himself.

The similar situation is here with Ovi store. I feel like I am going to refuse Nokia's offer.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by belabour View Post
    I will have to pay income tax from this 1.22e, so the end revenue which I can use myself is somewhere, 0.85e per sold 5e item. HEH HEH.

Luckily this is only hobby for me, otherwise it would end here.
    Hi No you wont, Ovi Store had to pay this for you, With-holding Tax, may be the name
    Only those who are registered for V.A.T. have to pay this

HEH HEh you as a hobby don't see the payment FAQ
    Thanks
    Jim

Regular Contributor

I want to pick up this old topic, because at the moment I am a bit concerned about the actual earnings. These are (better: the ratio of) gradualy decreasing for me, while the sales are increasing. E.g. in May I got approx. 50%, in June approx. 40%, and in July approx. 25% of total income BEFORE fees and taxes. So, for an item which costs 100EUR, I got 25EUR netto in July on average. This means 75EUR fees and taxes! When I sell the item directly over my website I get about 90EUR netto. In fact I earn more money from my direct on website sales, although the the number of sales with Ovi Store is orders higher. Are you facing a similar situation?

Quote Originally Posted by pixsta View Post
    I want to pick up this old topic, because at the moment I am a bit concerned about the actual earnings. These are (better: the ratio of) gradualy decreasing for me, while the sales are increasing. E.g. in May I got approx. 50%, in June approx. 40%, and in July approx. 25% of total income BEFORE fees and taxes. So, for an item which costs 100EUR, I got 25EUR netto in July on average. This means 75EUR fees and taxes! When I sell the item directly over my website I get about 90EUR netto. In fact I earn more money from my direct on website sales, although the the number of sales with Ovi Store is orders higher. Are you facing a similar situation?
    Same here
    It is just as I expected. worst case scenario, 25%

how to attract developers if they can only get 50% of sales, and worst case is 25%? OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by sh2sg View Post
    how to attract developers if they can only get 50% of sales, and worst case is 25%? OMG!
    Get a brand of NOKIA under that service.
    No, it's not working.

Quote Originally Posted by sh2sg View Post
    The worst case is less than 5%. This is what I get today.

We have discussed this on another thread. You will get close to 100% of estimated revenue, but it takes about 4 months due to the complexity of collecting payments from all those operators in so many countries.

And another thing, please note that sale price includes VAT, this can be as low as 15% or it can be even 24%, depending on country. You can not blame Nokia for this tax, you can blame your government