Discussion Board

accessing online databases and populating records

Hello I made an online database using vs2k8. I want to code a mobile application (i dont want to use the browser in my mobile) that accesses this online db and adds w/e records i ask it to to the existing mobile app's database.
    To do this i need to know how to write a mobile application and database and populate it with records, how to get the application to go online and access the db, and how to download the records and add them to the db Ok so how do it do it? im sure im in for the time of my life :P
    Also i dont no anything about javame or c++. Which would be quicker or easier to deal with?
    oh and im using mobiles running symbian 6v5.
    apprecaite it!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: accessing online databases and populating records

Java might be easier to get started, but symbian C++ would in the end give you more choices to do. anyway, I'm sure even Symbian doe snot have any API in public SDK for accessing server side DB's, though it is not a problem, since you can easily just do HTTP queries, and have the DB handling done completely in the server side.

Regular Contributor

im in no hurry really. i have a few projects i need to finish but i like being prepared you know. ok so u said that java is easier to get started but c++ offers more choices. i thought about what i want my mobile application to do. ill stick to my previous decision. access the online db and populate it. because see if i can do this then i can easily add search functions, add, and delete functions. ok so that's all i want to do. as for APIs and Queries, i dont no much. all i kno i have lots of reading to do. which brings me to my previous question: since i dont no either languages ill b looking for the lesser of two evils so which of these would be cause me the least bit of trouble completing my project

thnx

Nokia Developer Moderator

You might want to consider WRT Widgets as well.. They should be the easiest, i'm not having too much working knowledge on J2ME, though I have heard multiple times that it should be easier than Symbian C++, thus, if the WRT Widgets would not fit, then do check whether the J2ME would be fitting better..