Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

sql 2k5 express or mobile

Hello. I havent chosen a language yet so I cant put this topic anywhere but here. Also I'm assuming that the language at this point is irrelevant because my problem now is which edition should I choose. Finally seeing as I'm developing my applications for my nokia phone then what better forums to check than this one

EDIT:
    Hello. Pc and mobile application. Need them to access the same online database. no browsers in either. Which sql edition should i install?
    Answer is sql 2k5 compact edition right?
    Last edited by WildHeart; 2009-11-04 at 22:04.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: sql 2k5 express or mobile

It took me a while to realize that "SQL 2K5", is nothing else but Microsoft's SQL Server 2005, which indeed has a free Express edition for desktop and used to have a Mobile edition too (now replaced by SQL Server Compact 3.5, a solution for both desktop and mobile).

There is a bad news and a good news:
    • The bad news is that this SQL Server only runs on Windows while Nokia does not make any Windows Mobile powered smartphones.
    • The good news: now you don't have the " what to install on mobile" problem anymore
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Moderator

According to his other threads, WildHeart wants to access the database over the network. And naming the database he uses is actually a forward leap, those other threads said "I made an online database using vs2k8". Now he should probably check the documentation of the server and find out what kind of network access it provides.

Regular Contributor

wait wait o.o ok its obvious im getting nowhere with this. and believe me i wouldnt have bothered any1 here had nokia in the emirates had tech guys like you. i called them and asked to meet with any1 nokia developer they had and i got squat. id give anything to sit with any1 for 10 straight minutes to discuss this then id part ways with them. i even offered nokia to pay fees for consultancy but they simply had no one to meet iwth me.
    and now there's this...
    ok now i have to start all over again. i think.
    So once again I implore your kind patience. Im stuck and i cant stay like this. cuz i think Itomuta just ended my project T-T I can't even find ppl to talk to online (chatting not forums) that can help me. Someone to chat with for say 30minutes or someone that i can pay per hour through paypal for discussing w/e prbs i get and finding a solution.
    Tell me what to do. I need my pc application and my mobile application to access the same online database. The idea behind it is to move a record between local database of pc application (access) and the online database (sql or w/e u tell me) and the mobile's database (no idea!). What should i do? what should i install?
    Tell me and lets end both our miseries
    Yes i did mention similar objectives in previous posts. but like i said, i got caught up with work. I even bought javame books like it was suggested here or on a idfferent forum. i went to amazon and bought two books. id do it again if i have to. I just need to no what the software is
    for my pc its vb.net under vs 2k8 sp1 with ms access. i already downloaded the FOR DUMMIES books for sql 2k5 and 2k8 and bought vb.net programming book. for mobile its javame (or c++) with w/e there is for a dtabase. all that remains is the software for the online database.
    What's it going to be?

Regular Contributor

i did more reading on the subject. there is a solution. i can just get a prg that creates databases for nokia mobiles. i get my pc application to access the online db and download w/e records i need then send it to the mobile application via pc suite as .csv. I havent done any reading yet but this might work right?
    tho im still hoping ull tell me what software to use to get my nokia to access an online database!

Ok some more reading and i came across a program called mobile dbviewer plus but it didnt support 5th edition nokias

Help
    Last edited by WildHeart; 2009-11-05 at 05:33.