Discussion Board

Events in google maps

Hi,

I am implementing a J2ME application using LWUIT.I have a requirement to use google maps and therefore i am using the static maps provided by google. I also have a requirement to make the map interactive, i.e I should be able to capture events on the map, for e.g. I should be able to click on the map markers like the way it is possible in dynamic maps or a double click to zoom etc.

Since google provides only static images for mobile phone, how do I achieve this.

Regards,
    Madhu.

Super Contributor

Re: Events in google maps

I dont think its possible in j2me but not impossible
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Super Contributor

hhmm,sounds like a real challenge to me :P
    well in an ideal world you would be able to recognize those markers that google sends with their maps..
    Obviously those are only simple images stuck on the map..
    So I gues that you should :
    - or create a image-recognition algortihm that recognizes the markers
    - or you don't send the positions for the markers to google but place them yourself, keeping track of the exact screen-coordinates of those, so when clicking on it (or in proximiy of it) you will be bale to react on it... But it's pretty difficult to calculate the position of where the marker should be placed with the data (or lack of) that Google Static Maps supplies...

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Events in google maps

at this point of time I can't say exactly how to achieve this I googled much info on this but doesn't found anything that will do the job I had earlier worked on static Google api nd in next phase of my project I think I have to implement the dynamic maps there are many things in this world which are not done ever before and when need arises one has to do it by themselves for eg recently I worked on mp3 to wav nd vice versa conversion in core java without use of ne api the work is in progress lets see what will be the outcome

Nd Mr. tiger I am not challenging you or anybody else here I am just saying that in computers each thing actually in terms of 0 nd 1 its the matter how we are going to achieve ne thng
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Super Contributor

hehe sorry it's a manner of speech I wasn't actually implying you were challenging me :P after all I'm not the one who has to write code wfor that :P
    And yes, atomically speaking software is just 0's and 1's, but still some things are so incredibly difficult to implement that the time spend to try that just isn't justified in the end...
    A good example is your mp3-wav conversion, it's good to hear you are doing it in Jva, but try to di it in J2ME, which is even more limited... Even though I am pretty sure there should be some mp3 and wav encoder/decoders around for Java ?

Super Contributor

Actually I am in j2me domain so I am implementing j2me only and yes there is an code open source for mp3 to wav but not in wav to mp3, although it helped alot but its not complete so I had completed it but still working on quality issue of the converted wav nd for mp3 to wav I found C code nd tried converting in j2me nd dats really ahectic job nd yes allthis for Blackberry software which is in fact j2me based
    Regards,
    Saurabh