Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Google Analytics for Mobile and WRT

Google have just released Analytics for Mobile

It is currently only available for phones that handle javascript - like iPhone and Android. Google have only released it for these SDKs so far.

Not being a WRT developer, I have a number of questions:

- Given that one of WRT's components is javascript, would it not be possible for it also to run on the Nokia WRT-devices?
    - If so, has anybody tried to get it to work, even hacking around without the approved SDK?

- If not, and given that WRT is html, CSS and javascript compliant, would vanilla Google Analytics work?
    - Has anybody tried this and are there any issues to watch out for?

I would really like to get some app feedback via an analytics tool before I deploy my first app.

Many thanks

Re: Google Analytics for Mobile and WRT

I have had limited success with other regular Google products and WRT.

- Google Ads for high-end devices did not work ;-(
    - Google Ads for Maps as points on the map worked fine ;-)
    - Google Ads for Maps as an "Adunit" overlay displayed the ovelay but not render any ads ;-|

Any guidance or help you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Regular Contributor

I guess it all depends upon what you are trying to do with analytics. if your goal is to track usage across HTML pages in the WRT app then you wont be able to do this very well with WRT.

Unlike a web site, A WRT application is not a collection of distinct HTML pages. There is only one HTML page that acts like a canvas for dynamically building screens using javascript manipulation of DOM. If you navigate to a different HTML page then the WRT environment disables most of the WRT api. Since the typical way of implementing analytics is to include code on each page, this obviously wont work in the WRT context.

You could have google analytics code run once the application starts. You might be able to implement it differently than simply putting the code on each page like a web page. Maybe you can build a function that calls to google on each screen display.

Of course end users of your application might not like it if they find out you are monitoring how they are using the application. People may view applications as a more intimate and personal experience than viewing a typical web page.

I am also experimenting with WRT and Google Analytics , but with very limited results so far. I have WRT widget , where I have main.html containing JQuery Tabs which will be populated with data from web server.
    I would need to get data of overall pageviews of the index.html + possible pageviews of each of the category on the tabs.

Google documentation says, that Mobile Analytics can do tracking for two basic types of user interaction:
    # Pageviews.
    # Events.

Now I wonder is it possible to track pagewiews and events similar manner also in devices running Nokia WRT? I am currently using Google Analytics jQuery Plugin (http://plugins.jquery.com/project/ga) and I hope to get further with pageTracker._trackEvent(category, action, opt_label, opt_value) method, If anyone has succeeded with this, or with any other way pls advice.

Also, the reason I want to use Google Anlytics is that it does not give you pageviews of individual devices, but generates data of overall usage patterns of your site/application. I need to set up small scale pilot user case for the application running Nokia WRT .
    Last edited by pekollik; 2010-02-20 at 15:25.

Nokia Developer Champion

A Google Analytics JavaScript library for WRT widgets is now available here:

https://projects.forum.nokia.com/wrtgoogleanalytics

Pit

Hi all

I needed to track pageviews rather than events, so I took Jappit's library and enhanced it.

So now the library supports pageview tracking as well!.

Jappit, I would like to contribute the source code to the project - let me know how.

Regards
    Mario
    Last edited by mariozorz; 2010-11-04 at 14:30.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Mario,

thank you for your efforts! I've just added you to the project, feel free to add your own contributions.

Pit

Great Jappit,

Contributions are committed to the SVN repo and wiki has been edited accordingly at https://projects.forum.nokia.com/wrtgoogleanalytics

Enjoy
    Cheers
    Mario

Regular Contributor

This is really awesome!
    It's really good to have the pageview trackings, by using EventTrackings developers need to "PLAN" about the trackings events before they actually start integrations.
    this really make the tracking life a bit easier!!
    Excellent work Mariozorz!!!!
    Nokia is back!

Thanks Wenz!
    Actually jappit & co did the hard part, I only built some more stuff on the previous work they've done.
    Let us know how it goes in your projects
    Regards
    Mario

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your contribution to this project. Now, I see that you've removed callback method, was that intentionally or by mistake? It's an useful feature and it should make it's way back into the code.

Quote Originally Posted by srstanic View Post
    Hi Mario,

Thanks for your contribution to this project. Now, I see that you've removed callback method, was that intentionally or by mistake? It's an useful feature and it should make it's way back into the code.

Hi strstanic

I've checked the diff https://projects.forum.nokia.com/wrt...leAnalytics.js to see if I took code out by mistake but as you can see it's all added code, nothing was removed

The callback methods are there; if you check there are 2 methods called trackEventHandler and trackPageviewHandler that get called once the XMLHttprequest send method finishes.

Did you mean something different?

Regards
    Mario

Callback methods are still there, but they cannot be overriden with the constructor's last argument like before. Local variable 'callback' is not present anymore.

Ups, it might be that I've added that change and it was never a part of the code published here Let me know how I can contribute if you are interested.

Btw. there is a bug in line 141, one '+' character is missing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast