Discussion Board

HTTP client example

Dear All,

I am very new to Symbian OS programming. I need to post a URL to the Apache web server from the Symbian OS mobile and to receive the response. I started working with Carbide C++ v2.0, Symbian S60 2nd edition FP2 with java installed 1.6.0_17.

I started with Httpclientexample, but when I try to connect with the server using emulator(POST) I get errors. I get -1, sometimes -15 and sometimes -7361. Irrespective of errors I can confirm that my emulator is not sending any request to the server. I can see that there is no packets transmitted from the httpclientexample when I cross check with NpacketAdmin. When I connect with the Browser in emulator I can connect to the Internet and browse websites.

I am really confused with this issue. Can anyone please help me. May be this post looks like silly but I need your guidance to start programming with Symbian OS. Please help me.

Regards,
    gaja

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: HTTP client example

Quote Originally Posted by sgajendran1 View Post
    Dear All,

I am very new to Symbian OS programming. I need to post a URL to the Apache web server from the Symbian OS mobile and to receive the response. I started working with Carbide C++ v2.0, Symbian S60 2nd edition FP2 with java installed 1.6.0_17.

I started with Httpclientexample, but when I try to connect with the server using emulator(POST) I get errors. I get -1, sometimes -15 and sometimes -7361. Irrespective of errors I can confirm that my emulator is not sending any request to the server. I can see that there is no packets transmitted from the httpclientexample when I cross check with NpacketAdmin. When I connect with the Browser in emulator I can connect to the Internet and browse websites.

I am really confused with this issue. Can anyone please help me. May be this post looks like silly but I need your guidance to start programming with Symbian OS. Please help me.

Regards,
    gaja
    hello gaja

First of all its bit confusing to me that you are using S60 2nd edition sdk with carbide V2.0 i will suggest you to use the s60 3rd edition sdk or 5th edition sdk.

apart from that if you get the error number then please search the error documentation with that error code as keyword you can also know about error codes from this article.

Regards,

I am developing an application for N72 mobile and I came to know that S60 2nd edition FP3 is suitable for it. I had the error codes document and I cannot get any clues on it. Please help me.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Easiest way to figure out the problem, would be to debug the code in emulator, so you could identify which parts of the appication are getting run, and maybe even find the actual line causing the errors.

Dear symbianyucca,

I followed as per your advice and installed S60 3rd edition FP2 and tried the httpclient example. The application crashes after executing the line
    Code:
    CActiveScheduler::Start();
    Actually the code returns -1.

I didn't change any code in the given example but it is not working for me. When I try the 4th option TRACE to the website http://www.google.com the application responds with -18 which is Not ready. Please advice how to proceed.
    Last edited by sgajendran1; 2009-11-08 at 16:56.

Nokia Developer Moderator

So is that a console applciation, i.e. non-Application-Framework-App ?, and then did you actually construct and install the active scheduler for the thread ?