Discussion Board

emulate media (video) objects

Hi, I am trying to build a WRT based app that allows the user to upload a video. I haven't received my test phones yet and was wondering if there was a way to test development of this in an emulator. I have been using both the Apatana (on Mac) and SDK emulator (on WinXP). I am having troubles with the WinXP SDK emulator which I will post to another thread.

At the least, I would like to be able to configure a list of videos and each item having some metadata like file size. Is this possible?

I have tried searching around and can't find anything.

thanks,
    -Rob

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: emulate media (video) objects

Hi Rob,

to upload files from a WRT widget, you could take a look at ApiBridge, that helps to extend Web Runtime with file upload and other capabilities.

Pit

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rkoberg View Post
    Hi, I am trying to build a WRT based app that allows the user to upload a video. I haven't received my test phones yet and was wondering if there was a way to test development of this in an emulator. I have been using both the Apatana (on Mac) and SDK emulator (on WinXP). I am having troubles with the WinXP SDK emulator which I will post to another thread.

At the least, I would like to be able to configure a list of videos and each item having some metadata like file size. Is this possible?

I have tried searching around and can't find anything.

thanks,
    -Rob
    Maybe you want to try http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/RDA

Hi and thanks for the replies,

Jappit, I don't see a way to set media files.

It does provide a convenient fileUpload method. However, I already created a ajax/iframe file upload and building the sis install seems like a lot of work if it is just for the fileUpload convenience function (where do I find my (development|production) UID?). Is there any other advantage to the ApiBridge? Is it faster/lighter?

Symbian_Neil, thanks for the link to RDA.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi rkoberg,

the iframe method is actually a good plain-HTML solution. Personally, I found some drawbacks in using it (e.g.: error management) but, having still not fully tested ApiBridge functionalities, I cannot give you detailed answers on that. Of course, it can be useful in some scenarios (e.g.: snapping photos and then uploading them to a remote server).

About the UIDs: afaik, you should have a SymbianSigned account to obtain valid UIDs for distribution.

Pit