Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Facebook in j2me

Hi All,

Is there any way to posts messages on Facebook through J2ME application?
    If someone has tried this before then please let me know if you have any information?

Regards
    Vivek

Super Contributor

Re: Facebook in j2me

I'm pretty sure that facebook (just like any other social netowrking site like twitter) has some kind of API/web service... So you just would need to interface to that and send the needed information to post a message...

i'd say have a look here :
    http://developers.facebook.com/conne...tab=mobile_web

Thanks for you information but the link you provide is for the Mobileweb not for mobile application.
    I need some libraray which i can use in my standalone j2me application

Super Contributor

I guess the URL Tiger79 provided is the right one and you can read more about Facebook Api's in http://developers.facebook.com/ . All you need is your J2ME application needs to talk to Facebook API's over HTTP. I haven't seen any Facebook Api's for J2ME

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

with all due respect but just by reading the first couple of lines of the site I see the following :

"Facebook Connect is now available for the Mobile Web, allowing you to integrate the power of Facebook Platform into your mobile web site or client application."

and also :
    # Easily connect their Facebook account and information with your mobile site or application
    # Connect and share experiences with friends who also use your mobile site or application

So I don't know if you actually just missed the whole introduction of that page or you just want direct plain code ?

Obviously they don't have a specific J2ME API, but they do have some interface tot their services (Web Service maybe ???), which you will have to integrate/build within your app...

HI guys thanks for your valuable information...
    I don't want any server component to do the talking with my j2me app.
    That's why i am searching for j2me libraray for facebook that i can used directly in my j2me app.

You're right Tiger that we can call webservice exposed by facebook through java.
    But for that we have to write server side component which will do the talking with facebook-java-api's.

if someone has tried this thing through j2me app without using server-side component..
    then your suggestions are welcomed

Super Contributor

hhmm.. afaik you can call web services (or REST-full interfaces just like the facebook api) from J2ME itself, after all (just like the documentation states) it's nothing more than a HTTP GET or POST request... pretty doable with J2ME, no server-side component to be developed...
    I am just assuming here that with server-side component you mean some server inbetween your client apps and facebook right ?
    Because, after all, the Facebook API's are a server-side component (as in the Facebook servers themselves) so anyhow you will have to communicate with at least one serverside component, theirs....

Nokia Developer Champion

any success on posting to facebook from j2me? I just successfully posted to my facebook wall from j2me, bad part is, its mostly hardcoded. no XML, JSON stuffs used. Just plain Http/Https Connection, some cookie handling stuffs and a little code to handle javascript redirects.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by genergabasa View Post
    any success on posting to facebook from j2me? I just successfully posted to my facebook wall from j2me, bad part is, its mostly hardcoded. no XML, JSON stuffs used. Just plain Http/Https Connection, some cookie handling stuffs and a little code to handle javascript redirects.
    Update:

I now used KXML and JSON libraries to cleanup my Facebook API. Here's a video of a demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT63E...ature=youtu.be

Interesting. Are you going to share it ?
    -CarlosDL

Nokia Developer Champion

Very interesting. Are you going to release it?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TK2000 View Post
    Very interesting. Are you going to release it?
    Not yet, it seems that facebook constantly changes its own code. I don't know why, eg. I used display=wap today, tomorrow it won't work so I switch to display=page, now it works again but then tomorrow facebook will change the authentication page so I will change again and again, they don't seem to get tired doing so and so am I. Will release it when all these annoying changes from facebook halts.