×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8

    Facebook in j2me

    Hi All,

    Is there any way to posts messages on Facebook through J2ME application?
    If someone has tried this before then please let me know if you have any information?

    Regards
    Vivek

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    I'm pretty sure that facebook (just like any other social netowrking site like twitter) has some kind of API/web service... So you just would need to interface to that and send the needed information to post a message...

    i'd say have a look here :
    http://developers.facebook.com/conne...tab=mobile_web

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    Thanks for you information but the link you provide is for the Mobileweb not for mobile application.
    I need some libraray which i can use in my standalone j2me application

  4. #4
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bangalore , India
    Posts
    4,430

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    I guess the URL Tiger79 provided is the right one and you can read more about Facebook Api's in http://developers.facebook.com/ . All you need is your J2ME application needs to talk to Facebook API's over HTTP. I haven't seen any Facebook Api's for J2ME

    Regards
    Gopal

  5. #5
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    with all due respect but just by reading the first couple of lines of the site I see the following :

    "Facebook Connect is now available for the Mobile Web, allowing you to integrate the power of Facebook Platform into your mobile web site or client application."

    and also :
    # Easily connect their Facebook account and information with your mobile site or application
    # Connect and share experiences with friends who also use your mobile site or application

    So I don't know if you actually just missed the whole introduction of that page or you just want direct plain code ?

    Obviously they don't have a specific J2ME API, but they do have some interface tot their services (Web Service maybe ???), which you will have to integrate/build within your app...

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    HI guys thanks for your valuable information...
    I don't want any server component to do the talking with my j2me app.
    That's why i am searching for j2me libraray for facebook that i can used directly in my j2me app.

    You're right Tiger that we can call webservice exposed by facebook through java.
    But for that we have to write server side component which will do the talking with facebook-java-api's.

    if someone has tried this thing through j2me app without using server-side component..
    then your suggestions are welcomed

  7. #7
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    hhmm.. afaik you can call web services (or REST-full interfaces just like the facebook api) from J2ME itself, after all (just like the documentation states) it's nothing more than a HTTP GET or POST request... pretty doable with J2ME, no server-side component to be developed...
    I am just assuming here that with server-side component you mean some server inbetween your client apps and facebook right ?
    Because, after all, the Facebook API's are a server-side component (as in the Facebook servers themselves) so anyhow you will have to communicate with at least one serverside component, theirs....

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    24

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    Has anyone written code which allows users to post a message on facebook? If so willing to share or advise?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    I am looking for same ability, to authorize, then post to Facebook from J2ME.

    I have studied all the Facebook docs (except the REST API which comes next).

    Posting seems easy, the problem is authentication.

    Their main focus for authentication is:

    - server to server via redirects
    - SDK for iOS/Android that use a webview widget and Javascript to essentially do a web login inside a mobile app
    - roll your own version of the SDK above....

    So, I see two main options for a plan J2ME platform that doesn't have webview controls in the UI tool kit etc:

    - We roll our own J2ME SDK around the REST API that maybe able to authorize (need to study more)
    - We include some J2ME canvas library (LWUIT?) that gives us a simple web view that may work like iOS/Android SDK

    Were you able to get anything working?

    Maybe we can collaborate on getting a simple solution working on small footprint J2ME apps on platforms without sophisticated UI tool kits.

    Andrew

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_d_mackenzie View Post
    I am looking for same ability, to authorize, then post to Facebook from J2ME.

    I have studied all the Facebook docs (except the REST API which comes next).

    Posting seems easy, the problem is authentication.

    Their main focus for authentication is:

    - server to server via redirects
    - SDK for iOS/Android that use a webview widget and Javascript to essentially do a web login inside a mobile app
    - roll your own version of the SDK above....

    So, I see two main options for a plan J2ME platform that doesn't have webview controls in the UI tool kit etc:

    - We roll our own J2ME SDK around the REST API that maybe able to authorize (need to study more)
    - We include some J2ME canvas library (LWUIT?) that gives us a simple web view that may work like iOS/Android SDK

    Were you able to get anything working?

    Maybe we can collaborate on getting a simple solution working on small footprint J2ME apps on platforms without sophisticated UI tool kits.

    Andrew
    Hey Andrew,

    I know that it took long time since the message was posted, but I would like to collaborate with you in order to get a solution for J2ME. If you read this message, please contact me so that we can start this activity.

    Best Wishes,
    Allan.

  11. #11
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Noida, India
    Posts
    3,073

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    Try the REST way - using OAuth, you can get lot of examples on the net. Try using Facebook Graph API - http://facebookgarage.pbworks.com/w/...n-Mobile-(J2ME)
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    Quote Originally Posted by allanrjo View Post
    Hey Andrew,

    I know that it took long time since the message was posted, but I would like to collaborate with you in order to get a solution for J2ME. If you read this message, please contact me so that we can start this activity.

    Best Wishes,
    Allan.
    Hi guys!

    Any success with this? I'd be interested in collaborating as well.
    Let me know if i can help

  13. #13
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    any success on posting to facebook from j2me? I just successfully posted to my facebook wall from j2me, bad part is, its mostly hardcoded. no XML, JSON stuffs used. Just plain Http/Https Connection, some cookie handling stuffs and a little code to handle javascript redirects.

  14. #14
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    Quote Originally Posted by genergabasa View Post
    any success on posting to facebook from j2me? I just successfully posted to my facebook wall from j2me, bad part is, its mostly hardcoded. no XML, JSON stuffs used. Just plain Http/Https Connection, some cookie handling stuffs and a little code to handle javascript redirects.
    Update:

    I now used KXML and JSON libraries to cleanup my Facebook API. Here's a video of a demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT63E...ature=youtu.be

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guatemala
    Posts
    186

    Re: Facebook in j2me

    Interesting. Are you going to share it ?
    -CarlosDL

Similar Threads

  1. J2ME or C++ for VoIP on Mobile
    By sandeepkumar03 in forum VoIP
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009-02-02, 10:28
  2. Calling a native c or c++ application from J2ME
    By satyarajasekhar in forum Mobile Java Networking & Messaging & Security
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009-01-02, 12:10
  3. J2ME or C++ for VoIP on Mobile Phone
    By sandeepkumar03 in forum Mobile Java Media (Graphics & Sounds)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-11-13, 20:14
  4. Acessing voice channel using J2ME
    By diegomello in forum VoIP
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-10-21, 15:57
  5. Can J2ME be used for sending MMS Message ?
    By seno_ap in forum Mobile Java General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2006-11-24, 14:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •