Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keep running on shutdown

Hi

I want to keep my program running when user tries to shutdown mobile. I'm coding the app in C++ Symbian.

When user pressed button to shutdown mobile, I want to close everything, like real shutdown, but my application should stay in memory and keep running. Everything should be closed, but my application should keep running, except SIM.

When an SMS received, I want to turn mobile on. Is it possible? Shutdown process should be normal and user should see shutdown logo and animation for each phone, but my application should keep running until it receives an SMS. My application will hook SMS and when a command SMS arrived, it will re-launch phone, please advice about it.

Thanks from now!

Regular Contributor

Re: Keep running on shutdown

This is not possible. During shutting down of phone your process can't sustain and will be Killed by Symbian kernel (Highest Priority).

I know that few process keep running when the phone is switched off (until battery is removed), cause any of these process keep watch on Alarm etc. I don't know the name of that Process.

Quote Originally Posted by aficianado_001 View Post
    This is not possible. During shutting down of phone your process can't sustain and will be Killed by Symbian kernel (Highest Priority).

I know that few process keep running when the phone is switched off (until battery is removed), cause any of these process keep watch on Alarm etc. I don't know the name of that Process.
    So couldn't I make my process to be like Alarm process? I want to be similar to Alarm process, with difference of keeping SIM on, so when I received an SMS with WAKE UP command, my phone should wake up, is it possible?

Thanks for your reply

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DashNeghab View Post
    So couldn't I make my process to be like Alarm process? I want to be similar to Alarm process, with difference of keeping SIM on, so when I received an SMS with WAKE UP command, my phone should wake up, is it possible?

Thanks for your reply
    that s not possible, u r writting an app like a backdoor process,
    unless Symbian authorise, ur app can't not survived after power off.

while i think an app is possible to be waken up by RScheduler class.

Regular Contributor

More over, SIM will also signal to network that it is successfully switched off and you will not be able to use network services on SIM for messages.

Quote Originally Posted by oracle3 View Post
    that s not possible, u r writting an app like a backdoor process,
    unless Symbian authorise, ur app can't not survived after power off.

while i think an app is possible to be waken up by RScheduler class.
    It's not backdoor process, it's for a helpful solution for our company.
    How about cancelling real shutdown when received it's event? Then I can terminate some processes, close the LCD, etc. and keep mobile running...

More over, SIM will also signal to network that it is successfully switched off and you will not be able to use network services on SIM for messages.
    Even if it's closed, couldn't I re-run it and re-enable it?

Its not possible. Imagine what kind of applications would be developed if these kind of access was provided. It is a security threat.

Super Contributor

Hi,

How about cancelling real shutdown when received it's event? Then I can terminate some processes, close the LCD, etc. and keep mobile running...
    Even if it's closed, couldn't I re-run it and re-enable it?
    you can get the shutdown event from the system and if you have manufacture capabilities then you can terminate the lcd and other process. Without that, its not possible to stop the shutdown event.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Quote Originally Posted by mateen_maldar View Post
    Hi,

you can get the shutdown event from the system and if you have manufacture capabilities then you can terminate the lcd and other process. Without that, its not possible to stop the shutdown event.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    I know we can capture shutdown event, but I think it's possible to stop shutdown event. Is there any status code or something like that to be set when that event fired? I can get shutdown even properly, before getting shutted down, I get it's notification properly....

Now I want to stop it... Any ideas? Please advice, I'm sure it's possible...

Also how about hooking power button? When user pressed power button we can kill LCD and processes. Is it possible? But 1 touch to power button is not enough, because user will hold that, so again power off event will be fired, we need to kill that process and stop shutdown event also. Any ideas?

Thanks from now

Super Contributor

I know we can capture shutdown event, but I think it's possible to stop shutdown event.
    yes you are right. there is no way.

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    Is there Symbian OS itself available for download which I can use to analysis it and find some undocumented APIs? Maybe there is undocumented API for it and I can find it using IDA. Is there Symbian OS available for analysis or download?

Super Contributor

As far as i know there is no known APIs but if you still want to analyze symbian OS source code i suggest you visit symbian.org

As far as i know there is no known APIs but if you still want to analyze symbian OS source code i suggest you visit symbian.org
    I went to symbian.org, every package I try to download (even I'm registered in symbian), I see this error:

ERROR!!! ERROR!!!

The page you are trying to access is restricted to members of the Symbian Foundation.

So how can I download Symbian OS Source Code?

There is a way, look at this:

http://developer.symbian.org/main/do...PowerOff%28%29

Description

Cancels any power off request.

Now do you know how I can call this?

Nokia Developer Moderator

I went to symbian.org, every package I try to download (even I'm registered in symbian), I see this error:

ERROR!!! ERROR!!!

The page you are trying to access is restricted to members of the Symbian Foundation.

So how can I download Symbian OS Source Code?
    Your company would have to become a member of the Symbian Foundation. Currently is likely only you that are a registered member of their web site, which is not the same thing.
    Symbian is not yet fully open source, although some parts of it are, you can find them under the OSS code brach in their repository. Until all of it is released as OSS, the code you are probably looking for is under SFL license and it is only available to Symbian Foundation members.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-11-15 at 17:18.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite