Discussion Board

PyS60 development process

Hello everybody,

I'm new to PyS60 but have some experience with developing software in Python. I did read a lot of info here on wiki and elsewhere in Internet but the process still seems unclear to me.

I'm looking for some info on what's the usual process of development with PyS60. Do you first write a bunch of code, create a sis file and install it into the phone and then look if it runs nicely? How do you usually debug it? With help of gdb or using simple tracing or logging? Does anybody use the bluetooth consolse to try some snippets of code?

So, please share your way of work with me. Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: PyS60 development process

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by cozy_ View Post
    Do you first write a bunch of code, create a sis file and install it into the phone and then look if it runs nicely?
    If possible, use an emulator to test your applications. You can download it here. Then, after you install it, download the PyS60 SDK (either from sourceforge or maemo garage, depending on which version you want) and extract it in the emulator's installation directory (by default C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0 or similar). You can find numerous threads about this on this forum.

How do you usually debug it? With help of gdb or using simple tracing or logging?
    I for one just read the error messages when things are simple. Some other techniquest are presented in this article.

Feel free to ask for details about anything

Super Contributor

Re: PyS60 development process

Hi cozu_
    I'm looking for some info on what's the usual process of development with PyS60.
    I like the "remote console" over bluetooth or wifi strategy. It is possible to use a remote python shell and type commands, run scripts, see debug output and so on.

* Tips for bluetooth console here.
    * Tips for WiFi and Linux here