Discussion Board

Question cell tower id and sms without user intervention

Hello,

I want to develop a mobile phone application that helps a person (say A) to know the location of another person(say B). The basic idea is to obtain the cell tower id from B's phone and forward it to A. The application in B's phone has to run continuously in the background and whenever the cell tower id changes, a sms with the new cell tower id has to be sent to A's phone.

I initially started working with j2me on my nokia 5800 phone. Only later did i realize that it is not possible to send sms without user intervention, unless the application is signed by a trusted CA. I am working on this for my FYP and i cant afford to go down this road.

I learnt that one can obtain the cell tower id in Symbian C++ using CTelephony. I went through forums that suggested that it is possible to send sms without user intervention in Symbian C++ using RSendAs. Is that right?

Can one send the cell tower id, every time it changes, to a pc also without user intervention?

Before i start working using SymbianC++, i would like to know if any of the above requires getting the application signed for it to work. I have already lost precious time. Please help.

Thanks in advance

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: cell tower id and sms without user intervention

you could also check the MTM SMS sending examples, they would at least work just fine. And, yes, you can do all of that without user interaction.

Thank you for your reply sir.
    I wanted to make sure if it would work.

Will everything work fine without getting the application signed??

Regular Contributor

For testing purpose you can use self/open signed depending upon the capabilities you have added. I am sure you will add the ProtServ capabilty for autostart and you have to sign the application for that for testing.

http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...bian_Signed%29

For release version (commercial) your application must be signed as you can't make use of developer certificate for commercial purpose.

http://developer.symbian.com/main/do...t_sec_chap.pdf
    Last edited by aficianado_001; 2009-11-14 at 04:45.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by trgppkrr View Post
    Hello,

I want to develop a mobile phone application that helps a person (say A) to know the location of another person(say B). The basic idea is to obtain the cell tower id from B's phone and forward it to A. The application in B's phone has to run continuously in the background and whenever the cell tower id changes, a sms with the new cell tower id has to be sent to A's phone.

I initially started working with j2me on my nokia 5800 phone. Only later did i realize that it is not possible to send sms without user intervention, unless the application is signed by a trusted CA. I am working on this for my FYP and i cant afford to go down this road.

I learnt that one can obtain the cell tower id in Symbian C++ using CTelephony. I went through forums that suggested that it is possible to send sms without user intervention in Symbian C++ using RSendAs. Is that right?

Can one send the cell tower id, every time it changes, to a pc also without user intervention?

Before i start working using SymbianC++, i would like to know if any of the above requires getting the application signed for it to work. I have already lost precious time. Please help.

Thanks in advance
    Hi I made a similar application like this and its working fine. I can locate the phone without using the GPS and Internet features of the phone, just by using the SMS feature we can find the location of the other phone. If you need any help please let me know.

Thanks all for your reply.

Mr. somnathbanik, Can you please let me know if you have developed your application in J2ME or Symbian C++ ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by trgppkrr View Post
    Thanks all for your reply.

Mr. somnathbanik, Can you please let me know if you have developed your application in J2ME or Symbian C++ ?
    I have developed the Application in Symbian C++

hi everyone.,
    i am into developing a similar project for my final year., my project is to remotely access other mobiles through sms., what i planned to do was to create a j2me application that reads incoming SMS for keywords and triggers events like forwarding unread messages in the inbox to the mobile from which the trigger was received., and similar triggers for changing profiles and retrieving contacts and call logs through SMS.,

But later found that sms automation cannot be done with j2me., so after getting helps from the forum and reading threads like this i hav decided to move to symbian platform.,

now i need to know if all the requisites that wer stated for the above project can be done in c++.symbian?? and am a newbie for symbian ., can someone help me create this application??
    Siddhu

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by NSiddhu View Post
    now i need to know if all the requisites that wer stated for the above project can be done in c++.symbian?? and am a newbie for symbian ., can someone help me create this application??
    Siddhu
    it has been replied in your previous thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=189929. So if you really want to meet the time line then start reading now.

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    Hi I made a similar application like this and its working fine. I can locate the phone without using the GPS and Internet features of the phone, just by using the SMS feature we can find the location of the other phone. If you need any help please let me know.
    good evening.

introduces my name hilman I am interesting with tekhnologi location GSM without user intervention,can u help me about it,what can do for this future.I am sory if my englis not so good .thanks before .my email : hilman_proton81@yahoo.co.id

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    can u help me about it,thank before for your information.my email :hilman_proton81@yahoo.co.id