Discussion Board

RMS data LOST problem in 3410!!!

I have a nokia 3410. Many times I found this problem when I use midlets: the data stored in RMS memory lost. When I launch the programs again I found the data I saved dissappear. This happens not only in just single application but in many one: games, business applications etc. Seems that the phone erase those records by itself. It does not happen everytime but it does happen sometimes. I am not sure about the reason. But it seems happen when there is not enough storage memory in the phone. For example, I found the RMS record lost after I installed a new program and nearly use out all of storge space in the phone. And I also found that when there is little space left in the phone I can not even save a record into RMS. But if I delete some applcations to release space, RMS works again. One reason I doubt is that if the storge space left less than 16K(the RMS size in 3410), the RMS function would not work correctly. Or it just a compromised solution of Nokia: to erase RMS record in order to make space for installing a new application? If this is true, it can make users or developers feel unsafed when they want to store important data into RMS. The above just what I guess, I am not sure about the real reason.
    Currently my phone's firmware version is 4.26
    Does anyone meet the same problem? Or can Nokia Experts please give an answer? Thanks
    Regards.
    Last edited by bitsonic; 2003-04-04 at 16:14.

Just to amend the question I posted above:
    Through these days observation, I find that the data in RMS doesn't lost at all. Just when remaining space lower than a certain level ( as I guess above, 16k), RMS cann't be accessed , either retrieve or write. But if I delete some applications to release memory, the RMS can be accessed again. Everything back to normal, all data that have been stored in it can be retrieved as before. Now the thing is more clear, the system deny to access RMS when storage lower than a certain level. Is it a bug of JVM? Can anyone explain this?

I have had the same problem, when trying to access the RMS in the read mode. The infos are there, but sometimes my 3410 doesn´t read them .... I´m getting nuts !

I don´t think the problem is in the code, because the same code works in other phones.

Solution!?

Try to lower the 'MIDlet-Data-Size' parameter. Tell me how it goes.

Re: RMS data LOST problem in 3410!!!

hi ,

i am also having the same problem but i am using NOKIA 6225.

but here the RMS data is not erasing when i am in application. once i will come out of the application or if i will get "Application Error" the i am losing
    the RMS data. this is happening some tmes, but its working fine on some other phone like NOKIA 6600. so can any body focus on this? plz

Re: RMS data LOST problem in 3410!!!

hi,

i am facing the same problem of losing data.. not on the real device...but when i run my J2ME application on netbeans the already written data is not retrieved...as my application is related with data storage so this s a big problem for me.
    If someone is having any solution to this problem please let me, i ll relly appreciate the help .

Nokia Developer Champion

Thumbs up Re: RMS data LOST problem in 3410!!!

Hi,
    Might be there is some device issue with 3410 or may be coz of its low storage capacity.
    The storage capacity is 160kb and JAR size 49kb. There are lots of posts post by different users regarding same problem but there is no any solution found. We can assume it as a device fault not of application.
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..