Discussion Board

Question When packaged to .WGZ, is .SWF not able to access local .XML or .GIF files?

I have been successfully using the Flash to WRT packaging, as instructed in: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...nt_in_a_Widget.

The problem starts when I want Flash to read other files in .wgz package, like images or XML. Is Flash's access restricted? Can I somehow grant the access? The Flash app plays fine, but shows XML based texts as "undefined" in the UI, and does not show the images.

My .gif and .xml files get nicely stored to the device from the .wgz package, so that should not be a problem.
    Copying the same .swf, .xml and .gif file to device folder, and starting .swf with a File Manager plays the Flash app nicely showing the images etc., so the code is right.

I am testing with N97, Flash Lite 3.0 and AS 2.0.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: When packaged to .WGZ, is .SWF not able to access local .XML or .GIF files?

Hi thuttula,

I'm not sure about this, but it could be due to the SWF being copied to a temporary location when executed/played within the WRT runtime. It could be worth a couple of tests to check it out (if no "official" replies come before )

Pit

Is the problem related to using mac to package .wgz?

See below:

.wgz file created using mac os x zip utility fails to install
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=187055

I am on Mac OSX. I have created a widget using the Aptana Studio WRT Plugin. Packaging the widget using Aptana is successful; the widget package can be successfully deployed and installed.

However, if I don't use Aptana, and simply use the native OSX zip utility (either via command line or context menu), the resulting widget package cannot be installed. I am using the same files, and I have unzipped both the Aptana package and the native os x package, and compared the contents, and they appear to be identical.

I am guessing it is the zip format, so the question is, what zip format does the Aptana WRT Plugin use for packaging widgets (and how can I use the same compression format from the command line)?

I'm having the same problem, my mobile app is a SWF FL 2.0. It uses an external XML file for text so I can easily translate the app.

I used Aptana + WRT Plugin from Nokia to package the widget - locally in the emulator it works fine, but when I deploy to an actual device the XML does not load.

I'm getting exactly the same issue in .NFL packaging format too. I wonder if I need to reference the XML file with an absolute path e.g. C:\data\Others as an example.

I've been stuck on this issue for a while, also posted in Flashlite discussion group without finding an answer, so any 'official' feedback from Nokia or from someone who has overcome this would be well received.

NFL for Series 40 and WGZ for S60 are very good packaging solutions for Flash developers - I am finding SIS packaging impossible since I only know AS, JS, HTML, CSS etc. C++ / carbide may as well be written in greek for all I can understand.. not accessible to a flash / web developer like me..

A conclusion to these issues would be a huge relief.. external assets like XML, GIF etc are fundamental requirements in building Flash apps..

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi wuzimu,

even if you're not familiar with Symbian C++ programming, there are tools that allow you to build SIS packages, including external resources as XML files, with few simple steps. One of those is KuneriLite, available here: http://www.kunerilite.net/ , that has a step-by-step wizard that allows you to choose files or folders to be packaged with your SWF movie.

Hope it helps
    Pit