Discussion Board

Thread: Ad-hoc mode

Ad-hoc mode

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to connect phones in ad-hoc mode (using just QT). I need them to pass udp packets to each other. The broadcastreceiver/sender examples are not working because the phones I guess are in infrastructure mode and the firewall is blocking my traffic.

I've tried to set up an ad-hoc network using the phone's settings, but I think I didn't succeed. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Ad-hoc mode

Quote Originally Posted by emiusa77 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to connect phones in ad-hoc mode (using just QT). I need them to pass udp packets to each other. The broadcastreceiver/sender examples are not working because the phones I guess are in infrastructure mode and the firewall is blocking my traffic.

I've tried to set up an ad-hoc network using the phone's settings, but I think I didn't succeed. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Thanks a lot!
    Alright, I solved the problem. I'm posting here the solution, it might be useful to others. The steps are as below:

1. once you have created an ad-hoc IAP with the same name on each phone you want to pair, manually add a phone IP address, subnet mask, default gateway address using the phone advanced settings for the new IAP;

2. In your application, use the "setdefaultif" open c/c++ api (at the moment the doc can be found at \nokia_plugin\openc\Openc_new_api_guide.doc) to set the name of the default IAP to be the ad-hoc IAP you created in step 1. To use the api you can use the example code from the doc file, but make sure you add
    Code:
    #include <sys/socket.h>
    before including <net/if.h> otherwise you'll get build errors.

You should be all set.