Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

Good Nokia GPS enabled phones for location app?

What should be my criteria while selecting a GPS enabled phone?
    Does every device have different GPS signal strength capability or sensitivity?
    I am looking mostly for outdoor applications.
    Apart from that I have seen that many phones have AGPS???

In short what are the spec that I need to look out to select a Good GPS mobile phone?
    If you'll could suggest some models from your experience it would be great?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Good Nokia GPS enabled phones for location app?

well if you buy a new phone you should definitely go for AGPS, all new models support that.. Just take into account thoough that Assisited GPS actually does use some data over your network, so if it's expensive in your country or you don't have internet connectivity on your SIM/sunbscription it may cost you... The good thing is that you can deactive the A part of AGPS :P

I have actually no idea which chipsets are used specifically, I actually can't say my N5800XM is any faster or more precise than my nearly 3 year old N95... After all those aren't high-end chips which are used, I have worked with gps-receivers that cost around 4000 dollars a piece, which have a tollerance of 30 centimeters, so don't expect miracles from a 20 or 30 dollars integrated chip

The sensitivity is measured in dB so if you can get the specs of the chip;s used you can compare that value to have a rough idea how sensitive they are...

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    well if you buy a new phone you should definitely go for AGPS, all new models support that.. Just take into account thoough that Assisited GPS actually does use some data over your network, so if it's expensive in your country or you don't have internet connectivity on your SIM/sunbscription it may cost you... The good thing is that you can deactive the A part of AGPS :P

I have actually no idea which chipsets are used specifically, I actually can't say my N5800XM is any faster or more precise than my nearly 3 year old N95... After all those aren't high-end chips which are used, I have worked with gps-receivers that cost around 4000 dollars a piece, which have a tollerance of 30 centimeters, so don't expect miracles from a 20 or 30 dollars integrated chip

The sensitivity is measured in dB so if you can get the specs of the chip;s used you can compare that value to have a rough idea how sensitive they are...
    Added a new message up there.
    Last edited by KevinBoyd; 2009-11-19 at 18:15.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post

Very useful information indeed, I was wondering what would be the general tolerance of these gps phones, is it around 10mts, and regarding AGPS what would be the amount of data transmitted over the air for AGPS?

Thanks!

Super Contributor

For AGPS, the device need where it is when to start search.
    There is a related article.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...methods_in_S60