Discussion Board

mobile java and connectivity

Hi all

I need your help concerning this architecture: i want to access to a bluetooth device (the phone) using java. i have read something about issuing AT commands bluetooth in this forum.
    I want to send files using http (or sockets) throw the device (the phone). is it possible ?

is it possible with AT commands ? please let me know if you have any idea or suggestion because i am really new to at commands and bluetooth

and thanks a lot in advance

Re: mobile java and connectivity

Can anyone guide me please with the question above. i am really a beginner to mobile devices and connectivity

Super Contributor

Do you mean that you want to use the phone to connect your desktop/laptop to the internet?

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Do you mean that you want to use the phone to connect your desktop/laptop to the internet?

Graham.
    yes, exactly : i want to access internet using the phone. (if i can do that then i can run any application that need internet such as tcp sockets isn't it ?)

please grahamhughes, if you know what are the steps to do achieve this connexion through the phone in java or other language please let me know and thanks a lot

Super Contributor

You need to attach your phone to the computer as a modem. You don't need any programming to do this. You should consult your network operator for the correct configuration information to do this. Alternatively, try Nokia support.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    You need to attach your phone to the computer as a modem. You don't need any programming to do this. You should consult your network operator for the correct configuration information to do this. Alternatively, try Nokia support.

Graham.
    yes thanks.

in fact i need to do that using a program for my bluetooth project. that's why i came to this forum to ask if someone can guide me or advise me on what bluetooth-based librairies/platform to use and possibly how to program such a bluetooth connexion. I have read some discussions speaking about nokia AT commands but i am new to that and i lack documentations and examples

Super Contributor

Doing this using AT commands would be extremely difficult, since you will have to reproduce in your code all the functionality of modem drivers and TCP/IP stack in Windows.

You might want to consider a different project...

Graham.

sam038, try to explain your problem in much, much more detail as I do not understand it at all, yet. Who starts the connection (another phone or PC), via whom (phone or another PC) to what (Internet of your PC or Internet behing GSM/UMTS).

If your application is on your PC, why does it need to be aware of which transport bearer (GSM, UMTS, Bluetooth, USB, ADSL, …) it uses?

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    sam038, try to explain your problem in much, much more detail as I do not understand it at all, yet. Who starts the connection (another phone or PC), via whom (phone or another PC) to what (Internet of your PC or Internet behing GSM/UMTS).

If your application is on your PC, why does it need to be aware of which transport bearer (GSM, UMTS, Bluetooth, USB, ADSL, …) it uses?
    ok these are the explanations :

who starts the connection ? i want to start with a PC (PC1) (if it works then i will use a pda instead of the pc)
    via whom ? via a phone (phone1) which is a GSM phone
    to what ? the destination is a remote server located in a remote PC (PC2)

i assume that no internet is on PC1
    I want to use the phone1 in order to connect PC1 to internet and then connect to server of PC2 (using for instance a tcp client on PC1)

my question is : it possible to make such a connection between PC1 and PC2 and please is it possible to write such a tcp client in mobile java ?

i hope it is clear what i would like to achieve ???

How is PC2 connect to your phone? Via public Internet?

Smile Re: mobile java and connectivity

How is PC2 connect to your phone? Via public Internet?
    Hi traud,

Well, i would like to connect PC2 with phone using public internet if possible.
    What do you think traud ? is it possible to connect PC1 to phone and write a client inside PC1 which will then comunicate with PC2 ?
    Also i will appreciate help from anyone who have programmed similar applications or knows how they work.
    ps : i am a beginner in such platforms (mobile java and wireless connectivity) :-)

Which operating systems do PC1 and PC2 use? Personally, I would abstract your problem,making this much more protable and reusable and forget about that wireless link in between. You have two computers connected via the Internet. All you have to do, is to configure PC1 to use Internet. If that computer uses Windows, you install the Nokia PC Suite, use the connection manager and you are connected. No code (especially on the phone) required.

Which operating systems do PC1 and PC2 use? Personally, I would abstract your problem,making this much more protable and reusable and forget about that wireless link in between. You have two computers connected via the Internet. All you have to do, is to configure PC1 to use Internet. If that computer uses Windows, you install the Nokia PC Suite, use the connection manager and you are connected. No code (especially on the phone) required.
    thanks a lot for this valuable help. At least now i know that this project is feasible :-)

well, i will use windows on pc1 and pc2 (no problem for chosing windows or linux OS).

you said no code required. do you mean no program writing required in pc1 for initializing the wireless link ?
    as it is also a programming project however, i hope it is possible for me to write a program for this initialization part. I am wondering : may be if a program is writen, connectivity will be automated, transparent and easier for user, so this will justify the writing of program in pc1. may be there is a dedicated java library for programming such initialization.

Quote Originally Posted by sam038 View Post
    as it is also a programming project however …
    First, have a look at the Nokia PC Suite and get used to it. Then you will know what to do; I do not know from here. Probably, you have to ask your supervisor what to do, if everything is done already.