Cheers,

--jouni being hopeful

Super Contributor

Re: PyS60 in Symbian Foundation version control

Hi Jouni

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    Can anybody tell why? Is there a plan?
    https://developer.symbian.org/oss/FC...ubator/python/
    The code at Symbian is clearly based on PyS60 1.9.7, with some changes.
    But, since symbian.org uses Mercurial (hg) the development is distributed and it may be done without updating the original branch.

If you want to see the diff, please download this file (429k).

I saw one at least one bug (reported by me) fixed (ok, it was simples, just messages).

Marcelo

Super Contributor

Hmph,

Sounds like it could be the "latest" development version, which is fine: 1.9.7 + bug fixes.

Would this mean Nokia is giving up on active/official PyS60 development and could it mean Symbian Foundation is willing to continue... If yes, then WHO is the Owner of the project i.e. would be able to make an official release? That's what I'm most interested in

Open source development should be possible, merging some features and bug fixes from various version (PyS60 Community Edition) should be possible, but nobody but Nokia can make a release with same old UID using Nokia certificate. Second best alternative would be a release by someone (PyS60 product Owner) from Symbian Foundation with their UID and certificate - which hopefully would be compatible with Samsung and SonyEricsson devices, too.

Still hopeful,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Moderator

Its no longer there.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Its no longer there.
    Yes But it was ...
    Great, people are listening us !

Marcelo

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by marcelobarrosalmeida View Post
    Yes But it was ...
    Great, people are listening us !

Marcelo
    I hate bitching and moaning in a public forum but the current state of affairs with Pys60 is very disappointing and maybe there is a chance somebody will read this.

It seems like Nokia just doesn't know what they want to do or don't care about this framework anymore. For starters:
    * Pys60 is completely broken on the flagship device N97
    * There has been zero interaction between the dev team and the community lately
    * There is no activity in the bug tracker. Well actually there is, the bug list just keeps growing and new bugs are not even acknowledged.
    * There is no updated road map for the product
    * And many more things that I won't bother posting cause nobody from Nokia will respond to this post anyhow...

Is is really that difficult to designate somebody to interact with the developer community? Somebody that could say: yes we are working on this and that. Yes we are aware of this. Stay tuned, great things are coming down the pipeline etc?

I know WRT is the favorite child at the moment but I would hate to see pys60 die lonely and abandoned just because of this. Maybe a takeover by Symbian foundation would be a good thing...

Raf
    http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development-blog

Super Contributor

Hi Raf,

You said it. Everything.
    Python is really simple to use and fast to create/debug new applications.
    But it seems to belong to some second class development language for Nokia phones.
    Even I am in love with Qt and I think Guarana UI is really amazing, I think Python could be in the mainstream as well.

Marcelo

Regular Contributor

I will say one more thing:

Over the last two weeks I have been porting an app to Android and I must say that the speed of development is amazing when compared to Symbian C++ or QT development. I would even say that pys60 development cycle (which is very fast) is slower at the moment.

I always thought pys60 could be the RAD environment that C++ could never be. A middle road between complexity and speed of development. Something that could rival Android. But to be all that it needs to receive much more attention.

Raf

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Sorry for not keeping you guys updated for so long.
    We are close to making yet another PyS60 release. We are also working on the possibilities of making PyS60 available on Symbian foundation. As part of this process we will very soon have the PyS60 source code on Symbian foundation repository, which will make it easy for you guys to submit your contributions.

Regards,
    Vijayan

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tvijayan View Post
    Hi,

We are close to making yet another PyS60 release. We are also working on the possibilities of making PyS60 available on Symbian foundation. As part of this process we will very soon have the PyS60 source code on Symbian foundation repository, which will make it easy for you guys to submit your contributions.

Regards,
    Vijayan
    Hi Vijayan,

That is good news. Glad to hear that!

Relieved
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

Hi tvijayan

I can imagine that you may have several restrictions about what you can disclose or not and I understand the silence sometimes. But simple notes or small communications like the previous one are really important to keep the community strong and motivated. Thanks for sharing this information, tvijayan.

IMHO Nokia should consider the nomination of a spokesman (from Nokia side) or, better, a council (like in maemo), joining community and PyS60 team.

Relieved
    Me too ! Wow !
    \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tvijayan View Post
    Thanx for lifesign

That's two good news: a new release, hopefully for xmas, and possibility to submit code contributions. Just hope people would still be enthusiastic enough to make some... I've never been that good with Symbian C++ and I've found out that it's totally impossible to install S60 SDK on Microsoft Vista Home edition == always missing some whatever rights. Now emulator starts up - just to shutdown immediately. No idea why. Anyway, Windows 7 seems to be working.

...enivei, enough rambling! Because you have given hope for PyS60 future, I'll try to make an update to some app this evening.

On nightshift now,

--jouni

Regular Contributor

Vijayan,

thanks for the reply. This news brings up a lot of question though:

How will this work with Symbian Foundation? Will they release the official runtime builds or will the runtime be still signed by Nokia? Will Symbian Foundation put it's own dev team on the project and if there are multiple code bases, how will they be merged for future builds?

Thanks

Raf