Discussion Board

GCCE complied code faster than RVCT compiled code

Hi
    I am using carbide.C++ version 2.0 SDK I am building a video based application for S-60 3rd edition device. I have licensed version of RVCT 2.2. From the forums and blogs I have learned that RVCT provides smaller and faster application binaries. So I built my application in release mode using RVCT ( ie selecting target ARMV5) and then using GCCE. Surprisingly I found that GCCE application is faster and smaller in size than RVCT complied one.
    In my MMP file I have added following lines as advised in http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=100949
    #ifdef __ARMCC_2__
    OPTION ARMCC --no_debug_macros -O2 -Otime
    #else //__GCCE__
    OPTION GCCE -O2 -fno-unit-at-a-time
    #endif
    I found that in case of GCCE changing the optimization level ( ie using O1 or O0 or O3 ) changes the speed of my application ie application is slightly faster for O3 and slower for O1 and O0.
    But in case of RVCT changing the optimization level in above lines in mmp file has no effect on size of binary or speed of application.
    I also changed Optimization level for release configuration in ..\Epoc32\tools\cl_arm.pm file but no change was observed.
    In S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\tools\compilation_config\armv5_abiv2.mk file I set REL_OPTIMISATION=-O2 -Otime
    still no change was observed.
    Can anyone specify what is correct way of changing Optimization level for RVCT.
    Also has anyone really observed that RVCT complied code gives faster code than GCCE complied code?
    Regards,
    Manish
    Last edited by maniish.kesarkar; 2009-11-25 at 09:35. Reason: syntax error

Re: GCCE complied code faster than RVCT compiled code

Hi Figured my mistake
    I added following lines to bld.inf file
    PRJ_MMPFILES
    myApp.mmp BUILD_AS_ARM

And then used
    OPTION ARMCC -Ox in myApp.mmp where -Ox is Optimization level -O1,-O2, -O3
    After doing above changes and compiling using RVCT 2.2 compiler that is choosing Phone Release ARMv5 configuration the execution speed of myApp was better than myApp built using GCCE compiler ie 10 %faster than GCCE built application. Also I observed that there significat gain when Optimization is chaged from O0 to O1 but very small gain when I changed the optimization from O1 to O2. Also O2, O3, Otime, O2 with Otime all gave almost same speed of execution even Ospace gave same speed. Somehow the size of executable was almost same in all above cases.

Super Contributor

Re: GCCE complied code faster than RVCT compiled code

Quote Originally Posted by maniish.kesarkar View Post
    Hi Figured my mistake
    I added following lines to bld.inf file
    PRJ_MMPFILES
    myApp.mmp BUILD_AS_ARM

And then used
    OPTION ARMCC -Ox in myApp.mmp where -Ox is Optimization level -O1,-O2, -O3
    After doing above changes and compiling using RVCT 2.2 compiler that is choosing Phone Release ARMv5 configuration the execution speed of myApp was better than myApp built using GCCE compiler ie 10 %faster than GCCE built application. Also I observed that there significat gain when Optimization is chaged from O0 to O1 but very small gain when I changed the optimization from O1 to O2. Also O2, O3, Otime, O2 with Otime all gave almost same speed of execution even Ospace gave same speed. Somehow the size of executable was almost same in all above cases.
    normally RVCT can present 20%-30% size smaller sis package file.
    and certain percentage faster than gcce does.