Discussion Board

Writing speed on N95 8GB

Hi,

i am writing a PyS60 script that writes the accelerometer sensor readings on the E drive (the 8GB of the N95 8GB) as a log file. The funny thing is - i manage to get about 70 readings per second on one N95 8GB, while on the other 2 N95 8GBs i noticed i could only get 3-5 readings! I must admit i have done the most tests and installed many other libraries and softwares on the first unit, while the other 2 units are basically fresh (one of them just got its firmware updated today).

Does anyone know which library can help increase the writing time to the disk? this would be helpful before i try to install all the stuffs on every unit just to find out what could have given the boost to my trusty N95 8GB (the first unit).

thank you very much.

wahlau.

Regular Contributor

Re: Writing speed on N95 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by wahlau View Post
    Hi,

i am writing a PyS60 script that writes the accelerometer sensor readings on the E drive (the 8GB of the N95 8GB) as a log file. The funny thing is - i manage to get about 70 readings per second on one N95 8GB, while on the other 2 N95 8GBs i noticed i could only get 3-5 readings! I must admit i have done the most tests and installed many other libraries and softwares on the first unit, while the other 2 units are basically fresh (one of them just got its firmware updated today).

Does anyone know which library can help increase the writing time to the disk? this would be helpful before i try to install all the stuffs on every unit just to find out what could have given the boost to my trusty N95 8GB (the first unit).

thank you very much.

wahlau.
    I have 3 N95-3 and 3 N95-4 (8GB). On all the 8GB devices reading is faster but writing is slightly (10%-15%) slower than on the N95-3 models with external high speed cards. Initially the 8GB model writing was very slow, but in my case a full format of the memory card (E solved the issue. I did actually two format passes: one with windows and one with the built in app on the phone.

Hope it helps.

Raf
    http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development-blog

Re: Writing speed on N95 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by raf1hh View Post
    I have 3 N95-3 and 3 N95-4 (8GB). On all the 8GB devices reading is faster but writing is slightly (10%-15%) slower than on the N95-3 models with external high speed cards. Initially the 8GB model writing was very slow, but in my case a full format of the memory card (E solved the issue. I did actually two format passes: one with windows and one with the built in app on the phone.

Hope it helps.

Raf
    Dear Raf,

i must say i overlooked this possibility, and your post solved my problem. A fresh format using the built-in app changed my writing speed from 4 lines per second to 60-70 lines per second.

now i am impress of what a format can really help in speeding up writing speed!

thanks a lot Raf, you saved my day.

regards,
    wahlau.