Discussion Board

Smile Getting Started with OVI

Hi guys,

I am new to selling/publishing content and have some questions to get me started. To provide some context, I am interested in selling J2ME powered games which are designed to work on the majority of Nokia phones.

Q1. If I sell a game using the OVI store, can I also sell the same game via my own website?
    Q2. Do I need to purchase a certificate from someone like Thawte? For a beginning developer it is costs like these which are extremely off putting.
    Q3. What happens if a customer discovers some sort of bug in their purchase? Is it easy to provide a corrected update?
    Q4. What happens if a customer purchases a game, and it doesn't run on their Nokia phone?

Is the selling process as simple as suggested on https://publish.ovi.com/login.

Many thanks,
    Lea Hayes

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Getting Started with OVI

Hi

1. The content item if sold on the Ovi Store cannot have a link to an external storefront that sells other content items
    2. Java application submissions must be pre-tested and signed. Services like Java Verified can be used to verify applications work on Nokia devices. Visit http://www.javaverified.com/ for more information on the Java Verified service. It is not mandatory to use Java Verified. Verisign and Thawte are accepted for signing Java applications. Note: Verisign signed MIDlets cannot be installed to Series 40 5th Edition, Feature Pack 1 devices. Java and Symbian applications must be signed appropriately and no application certificate error message will be allowed for content or applications on Ovi Store. For best practices on how to sign applications go to the Forum Nokia discussion boards at http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...play.php?f=124
    3. The testing and process of QA team is rigorous to ensure that content item is free from bugs.
    4. Same

Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, and the links.

> The testing and process of QA team is rigorous to ensure that content item is free from bugs.

By QA team, are you referring to Java Verified or OVI QA team?

Thanks again,
    Lea Hayes

Super Contributor

Ovi QA, I presume (but note that Ovi QA is not going to ensure your app is bug free, just that it works well-enough to qualify for publishing.

Note also that if you sell your app through Ovi Store, it does not prevent you from selling the same app through other channels as well.

> Ovi QA, I presume (but note that Ovi QA is not going to ensure your app is bug free, just that it works well-enough to qualify for publishing.

The applications that I produce will have been tested thoroughly prior to sale, but it is nice to note that there is another QA process prior to sale.

> Note also that if you sell your app through Ovi Store, it does not prevent you from selling the same app through other channels as well.

Excellent, thanks for pointing that out!