Discussion Board

Question Reverse Geocoding in Java

I need reverse geocoding in a Java app running on the J2ME platform. I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide a link to the documentation on how to do this and the name of the actual method to call. I have found many references to it in the forums, but none have led to me actually finding the appropriate method call. Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Reverse Geocoding in Java

thats because J2ME doesn't have native geocoding as in there is no API for that
    you did find out what reverse geocoding means ? to do that a lot of information is needed, which most of the time is stored in pretty big databases... it's not something small and lean which can be offered as a standard API on a device unfortunately...

Thank you for the reply. I am aware that the database for such a task is large and I expected to have to access a web service of some kind to provide this information.
    1) Can you recommend a web service that would provide this ability?
    2) Does OVI or NAVTEQ (or some other service tied to Nokia) have this capability and what is required to access it from a java app on a Nokia mobile device? Thanks.

Super Contributor

Hi Harriskorn,
    Well just check out this link. Google provide every kind of service for maps. You can find Address from Location and location from a Address. NAVTEQ also provide the same, so u can try there APIs too. Mostly these APIs return data in XML or JSON format so you need to see wat suites you best.
    au revoir
    Prakash Raman

Regular Contributor

hi buddy, there is no geocoding/reverse geo tech. in j2me, it is needed to develop it yourself or you server team. google have develop a huge sorry very very huge database system where is stores all the lat long even your phone no :-) any ways Mr. Parkash gave you a usefull link of g-apis you can use for testing purpose. well there are many other maps provider do contact them and they may charge it.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Manjul.

Hello, harriskorn

Is your project include creating a server that actually does the reverse geocoding process? If not,here's a link to a website that does both geocoding and reverse geocoding: http://tinygeocoder.com

I hope that helps. Good luck with everything

-John

In case you still need it, here's another reverse geocoding service. http://reversegeocoder.net46.net/

Unfortunately, this one only does reverse geocoding