UPDATE: Calling a Java midlet using laa extension
I think I've figured it out. If anyone is following this thread, this is a solution I have found. It is rather inefficient, and if there is something better out there, please let me know
Java applications built with the SDK before FP2 cannot be assigned pre-defined UID's (see this thread). Hence, before calling the execute function from the laa module, we need to determine the application UID.
To do this, I wrote a small script that uses the applist module (see this wiki page). We parse through all the applications installed on the phone, find the UID of the relevant application and call it using laa. In my case, the name of the midlet was 'HelloMidlet' :
import applist, laa
a = applist.applist()
i = 0
if (str(a[i]) == u'HelloMidlet'):
i = i+1
except IndexError :
appuid = lister()
if not (appuid==-1):
print "UID = ",appuid
print "App not found"