Discussion Board

Java Verified Certification and Ovi Submission

I am about to submit my first J2ME app to Ovi.

I have signed the Midlet using my TC TrustCenter certificate (not a Verisign or Thawte one).
    I have taken the application to the Java Verfied Submission portal and past the Pretest Result.

Next step is to submit it to a test house. This step is more painfull because it touches my Layer1 (i.e. cash).
    I have beed discussing with one of the test houses and got told that the app will only get Java Verfied Certification for devices based on the same platform as the ones I choose in the JV Submission portal. My questions are:

Q1: Do I need to take the "test house" step? or can I submit the app signed with the TC Cert (NOT Verising or Thawte) to Ovi, since it has passed pre-test? (actual Ovi requirement is to pass Pre-Test)

Q2: If I have to submit to test house, does it mean that once in Ovi the app will only be available for devices for which it is Java Verified Certified?, or will it be available for any device I choose?

Q3: If it is only Java Verified Certified for one platform, will it have any problem to install or run on handsets based on other platform, on which I have tested (locally and through RDA or device-anywhere) and I know that it works OK? (Not strictly an Ovi question, but I wonder if anyone knows)

Sorry for my ignorance. When I got to understand the Symbian Signed (Express / Certfied), I got asked to start with J2ME as well!
    ----------------------------------------------
    Every journey starts with a small step.

Re: Java Verified Certification and Ovi Submission

Hi, Juannoguera!

Q:1 - AFAIK, you *must* sign your J2ME application with Verign, Thawte or Java Verified, to be able to sell it via Ovi Store.

Q:2 - In principle, you'd have to get (and pay for...) a JV certification for each device group, as defined in the "Table_of_Supported_Devices" (downloadable from javaverified.com). In the case of Nokia 5800 and N97, though, you can get certification for files for the 5800 and distribute these in Ovi Store for N97 and the other Symbian 5th edition phones too (in spite of 5800 and N97 belonging to two different JV device groups).

Q:3 - Not sure that I uderstand this question... But of course you can distribute the exact same file/s that you submitted to the JV process.

Best Regards,

Mats Hillborg
    Autophonics - The Creator of MusAic

Thanks,

Let's see if I understand:

Q1. Ok. So signing with a TC Trust certificate NOT valid for submission to OVI. Even though TC is the required cert for submission to Java Verified. So I have to purchase a certificate from Thawte or Verisign.

Q2. My understanding from the answer is that I can sign the app with a Thawte / Verisign cert and distibute it for all groups of devices that I want.
    However, if I take it to JV Certification, then I have to certify for each group separately.
    If that is true, the cost of JV Certification for all groups of devices make JV Cert option non-viable. Correct?

Q3. If I have done JV certification for one group of devices, can I have the app in Ovi available for a different group of devices?

Best regards,
    Juan Noguera
    ----------------------------------------------
    Every journey starts with a small step.

Q:1 - Correct. The Publisher ID you get from TC is only to guarantee you identity as a developer/firm and has nothing to do with certification of your apps.

Q:2 - Also correct, only you'd have to weigh in that Thawte/Verisign certificates will have to be renewed each year, while a Java Verified Certification is valid for ten years. So your choice would depend on the product cycle life span you're counting on, the number of different versions etc.

Q:3 - No, with the exception I mention in my previous answer to Q:2, *in Ovi Store* you must use one JV cert for each JV device group.

Best Regards,

Mats Hillborg
    Autophonics - The Creator of MusAic