Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

same protected UID

Hi,

It is possible to express sign two different .sis files with the same UID (from protected range) right ? This is what my client did, but only one of the apps work. So, both different .sis files (same protected UID, express signed) installed ok (on two different deices). One of them is able to launch and works accordingly while the other does not autostart / launch by clicking on it/ etc. Howeer no error messages were obsered.

Any hint ?

Thank you

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: same protected UID

Basically each sis file needs to have thjeir own unique UID, that the one that is defined same line as the name in pkg. Then all executables also need to have unique UID, so you should not try using same UID multiple times.

Regular Contributor

Nope, that was not it. I must have screwed up somewhere else.

Regular Contributor

anyone, ideas ? I still can not figure why it wown't work

thanks

So what's the problem really? As Jukka said you cannot have two different applications with the same UID3/SID so if that's wha you are trying to do you have to change your plans and allocate a new UID for the second app.

If you have done that already then your original description of the problem is no longer valid and you need to explain what the current problem is.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hey Lucian,

My updated problem remains same as firstly described, except for the fact that I have tried with another ID (UID3 I think) instead. Same behaviour, installs ok but wownt start. SID you say .. let me check on this one. Most probably it was not changed between the 2 apps, I just have to look and see what an SID is and then post back.

Thanks

In 99,99% of the cases UID3==SID. The UID3 must also be changes in all its occurrences, be that in source files, resources or even file names.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Yes, I have double checked that also. Searched for 0xe.... and replaced it with 0x2.... from Carbide, then made ure no file escaped by doing a windows search for files containing 'e....'.

Hi,

as I read from your original post the second app does install (and is Symbian Signed), but does not work (on a different device - the second device does not contain app one). I think your problem has nothing to do with UIDs/SIDs (it is not bad to correct these problems, but they are not the root cause why your app is not starting).

You need to focus on other things why the second app is not starting like missing resource files, DLLs, or something like that. Is the second app completely different from the first app? Is there an overlap in components?

Can you provide the .pkg file for the second app?

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Regular Contributor

Hi Rene,

you got it right. In addition, the first app I created was for S60 3rd non FP - which worked only for non FP. Then I had to come up with some other app that would work the same way for S60 3rd FP1 and FP2. So the second app came into existence. And it is based on the first, yes. Pretty heavily based.

However, the second app is doing fine, while the first is doing not so fine. Oh and needless to say it runs okay if selfsigned with development UID 0xE....

There goes my .pkg

; Register.pkg
    ; This is an auto-generated PKG file by Carbide.
    ; This file uses variables specific to Carbide builds that will not work
    ; on command-line builds. If you want to use this generated PKG file from the
    ; command-line tools you will need to modify the variables with the appropriate
    ; values: $(EPOCROOT), $(PLATFORM), $(TARGET)
    ; Also, the resource file entries should be changed to match the language
    ; used in the build. For example, if building for LANGUAGE_01, change the file
    ; extensions .rsc to .r01.
    ;
    ;Language - standard language definitions
    &EN

; standard SIS file header
    #{"Register"},(0x2002BD0A),1,0,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Vendor-EN"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Vendor"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    ;You should change the source paths to match that of your environment
    ;<source> <destination>
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Register.r01" -"!:\resource\apps\Register.r01"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\Register_reg.r01" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\Register_reg.r01"
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Register_aif.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\Register_aif.mif"
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Register.mbm" -"!:\resource\apps\Register.mbm"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\06000001.r01" -"c:\private\101f875a\import\[2002BD0A].rsc"
    "..\gfx\Register.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\Register.mif"
    "..\gfx\Register.mbm" -"!:\resource\apps\Register.mbm"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\Register.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\Register.exe",FR,RI
    ; Add any installation notes if applicable
    ;"Register.txt" -"!:\private\2002BD0A\Register.txt"

Thanks

Hi,

1. Pls, try and change .r01 extension into .rsc (or make sure phone is switched to English language).

2. UID3 of the GUI app (register.exe) needs to be 0x2002BD0A. This UID3 is used in 3 places in a GUI app (.mmp file, _reg.rss file, and KUidApp in one of the .cpp files).

3. In _reg.rss initially only use appfile="" to see if there is a problem with the icons ...

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

Regular Contributor

Son of a ...

_reg.rss didnt have the right UID3 .. and it didnt show at search from neither carbide nor windows explorer. Thanks a lot man, I owe you a mulled wine if it works, that is :P). Good tip about .r01

kellogs

Nice to hear .

It does work now?

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

Regular Contributor

dunno if it works I tend to think it does, as my client does not complain anymore on it (but neither confirmed that it worked)