Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

Exclamation J2ME sounding alert, while in silent mode...

Hi guys,

There's a big need out there to sound alerts while the mobile is still in silent mode.
    I'm currently developing on Nokia S40 devices, currently working on the Nokia 6212 classic.

And i need that at a certain point the application sounds and alert and it is sucessfull but when the phone is in silent mode, obviously the alert isn't heard. Is there some particular way to bypass the silent mode ?

If not, i highly suggest that this feature will be added in some near-future update of the nokia sdk.

Super Contributor

Re: J2ME sounding alert, while in silent mode...

If the user puts the phone in silent mode, it's because they don't want to hear anything. There is no way to "bypass" this (nor is there likely to be).

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Mmm... sorry but i don't agree. Because what will happen if we're developing an emergency application for a doctor and he made his mobile silent during a meeting ??? Or we specifically need an alert tone ??

Super Contributor

With what don't you agree? You can disagree with my opinion that being able to bypass the user's settings would be a bad feature, if you like.. But that won't make such a feature appear. There isn't one.

People who want alerts from their phone in meetings leave vibration switched on (that's what vibration is for).

Graham.

Regular Contributor

How about suggesting to make it with a permission maybe, so a user will know that, that particular application can bypass the silent feature, and if they don't want to do it they just don't install the application.

Because the particular project i'm working on needs an alert and vibration isn't an alternative...

Anyway it's just a suggestion from a single developer... Maybe nokia could see what other developers think...