Discussion Board

embedded qt installer and error -16

Hi,

I've integrated my installer with qt (qt_installer.sis as embedded sis). Testes on two N95:
    - on the first device installation process finishes with success, everything works fine
    - one the second one installation failed during installation qt_installer with error -16 (KErrServerBusy?). Installation standalone qt_installer.sis works fine on this device.
    Any idea?

Regular Contributor

Re: embedded qt installer and error -16

Hi,

Were there any old packages (for either Qt or Open C/C++) installed on the N95 which failed? Try removing those and then reinstall, maybe that helps.

On both of them was no old version of QT, OpenC/C++.

Regular Contributor

Hi, if I read this right the error should happen with installing of qt-demos.sis as well.
    Did you try that ? We haven't got a single report of this happening with qt-demos.sis so might be something to do with Firmware version of the phone.
    What are the SW versions of two N95s you have ? Does it differ? type in *#0000# to see the version number.

Are you trying to install on C-drive on both devices? do they have enough space for the installation ?

I do think that -16 is indeed KErrServerBusy and in this case it is either the SWI or FS.

Problems with installing Qt that I've had is that my own E71 failed to uninstall Qt and was left to state where only option was to reflash firmware. This issue (has happened on other devices with non-Qt installations) is not what you describe.

-Janne

i encountered the same problem on my nokia 5800 but i started the installation again and worked

Quote Originally Posted by jakoskin View Post
    Hi, if I read this right the error should happen with installing of qt-demos.sis as well.
    Did you try that ? We haven't got a single report of this happening with qt-demos.sis so might be something to do with Firmware version of the phone.
    What are the SW versions of two N95s you have ? Does it differ? type in *#0000# to see the version number.

Are you trying to install on C-drive on both devices? do they have enough space for the installation ?

I do think that -16 is indeed KErrServerBusy and in this case it is either the SWI or FS.

Problems with installing Qt that I've had is that my own E71 failed to uninstall Qt and was left to state where only option was to reflash firmware. This issue (has happened on other devices with non-Qt installations) is not what you describe.

-Janne
    Reflash firmware?! No another way?..

Super Contributor

One thing to remember is that when you reinstall something the phone will attempt to "checkpoint" the old version before installing the new, so that the old version can be reinstalled if the install fails. With something as large as qt_installer this can take A LOT of "disk", and many older phones simply won't have enough room. The solution is to manually uninstall the old version first.

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    One thing to remember is that when you reinstall something the phone will attempt to "checkpoint" the old version before installing the new, so that the old version can be reinstalled if the install fails. With something as large as qt_installer this can take A LOT of "disk", and many older phones simply won't have enough room. The solution is to manually uninstall the old version first.
    When I try to remove Qt from application manager, progress bar stuck and show popup "Not removed". Problem is in Qt_installer. Installing pips.sis, open_ssl.sis, stdcpp.sis, qt.sis and qtwebkit.sis one by one don't doing problems.

Super Contributor

You should, in theory, be able to reset the phone back to factory state, using a special @# code, removing all installed apps. If you Google around you can find it.