Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

CBaseMtmUi::OpenL

Hi,
    is there a way to call the method CBaseMtmUi::OpenL from a non-ui application?
    In case I am doing so, I get a "nice" KERN-EXEC 3 in the owned CBaseMtmUi::ConstructL().

How would it be possible to invoke such an interface from a non-ui app?

Thanks.

Re: CBaseMtmUi::OpenL

Quote Originally Posted by beltry View Post
    Hi,
    In case I am doing so, I get a "nice" KERN-EXEC 3 in the owned CBaseMtmUi::ConstructL().

Thanks.
    Why are you thinking that it is happening because of non-UI app? There can be many reasons for KERN-EXEC 3.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by beltry View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.
    KERN-EXEC 3:
    This panic is raised when an unhandled exception occurs. Exceptions have many causes, but the most common are access violations caused, for example, by dereferencing NULL. Among other possible causes are: general protection faults, executing an invalid instruction, alignment checks, etc.

you can search in SDK with keyword "KERN-EXEC"
    -------------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Ram
    Symbian OS 9.2/9.3,S60 3rd FP1/FP2,Carbide.c++v2.0

Regular Contributor

Thanks. I surely know what KERN-EXEC 3 stands for.
    On the other hand the same code is working flawlessly if invoked from a UI-app. That's why then I suspect there may be something involved.

I'll further check.

Regular Contributor

Funny enough the same bit of code is working properly from a UI-app.
    At this point, how would it be possible to run the code successfully from a non-UI?

The crash occurs in CBaseMtmUi::ConstructL() after the base class invokes GetResourceFileName(TFileName& aFileName).

Hi Beltry,

I am not perfectly sure about it but CBaseMtmUi Provides MTM-specific user interaction, such as editing, viewing, deleting, and copying of message entries and this class is concerned with user interfaces. It might be possible that it can only be used in a GUI framework application. I am trying to figure it out and will be back to you after getting any useful information.

Regular Contributor

In order to make the call without the crash, the CCoeEnv must be created in the entry point of the non-ui process.
    Now that I have made that working properly, I am facing another issue:
    when I am creating a dialog and using PrepareLC() I get a KERN-EXEC 3 crash, although I am loading the resource which contains the definition of the resourceId passed in PrepareLC().

Anyone could give me a hint?