Discussion Board

My script is randomly dieing

Hi, I have just recently started programming with Python and as part of a learning project I decided to make a WiFi remote control for my PC (also I don't have bluetooth in my PC so the hundred other projects out there don't work for me) and I have run into a problem. Everytime I run the script it works fine for about 2-3 minutes then it will just close down the shell and return to the menu without showing any errors. I have been running it in the script shell and PED, I haven't tried creating a sis file but I doubt that will work any better.

I have tried searching for the problem and haven't found anything but it is an extremely hard thing to search for because I'm not getting any error messages. So can someone please help me out here.

I have put my scripts on pastebin, there are 3 scripts that need to be used:
    netServer.py is the server which runs on the PC.
    remoteCmds.py is a module for the server so when running the netServer.py script make sure you are in the same directory as this file.
    WiFiRemote.py is the client for the phone.

Super Contributor

Re: My script is randomly dieing

Hi Mike

Nice feature under construction, no ? Great. My 2 cents (maybe one cent):

1) Is __reconnect__() working ? Since you have already called bind, further call to bind to same port will failure. Just call accept(), do not call bind again.

2) socket.makefile() may give you a better way to handle command lines. Just create the makefile from your socket (file_like_interface = your_socket.makefile()) and use readline() instead receiving each byte.

http://croozeus.com/blogs/?p=1259

3) use sendall() instead send() to ensure that all data are sent at each call

4) Queue objects may be useful for passing commands and avoid critical sections. It deserves a look.

5) If the program is closing and try/catch does not help, try to log to file:

http://croozeus.com/blogs/?p=983

Quote Originally Posted by marcelobarrosalmeida View Post
    1) Is __reconnect__() working ? Since you have already called bind, further call to bind to same port will failure. Just call accept(), do not call bind again.
    That is working at the moment, but it would be better without binding again so I'll try that. The only reason I put it there in the first place is because I suspect that the socket was dieing and that was cause the client to have a problem and just die, but the reconnect didn't fix it so I assume that wasn't the problem.

2) socket.makefile() may give you a better way to handle command lines. Just create the makefile from your socket (file_like_interface = your_socket.makefile()) and use readline() instead receiving each byte.

http://croozeus.com/blogs/?p=1259
    That would be heaps better, my way is extremely ugly.

3) use sendall() instead send() to ensure that all data are sent at each call
    What is the difference?

4) Queue objects may be useful for passing commands and avoid critical sections. It deserves a look.
    Ok, I'll take a look at that.

5) If the program is closing and try/catch does not help, try to log to file:

http://croozeus.com/blogs/?p=983
    Yes, that will be useful the try/catch method doesn't work because it quits the shell before I get to read it.

Thanks for the help.

edit: I forgot to mention this in my first post, I know that the problem is on the client because the server is having a "connection rest by peer" error because the client is closing the socket.

Super Contributor

Hi

When you use send(buffer) the amount of sent bytes may be less or equal len(buffer). send() may not send all buffer and you need to check its return always (the amount of sent bytes). It may vary depending on network or network stack conditions. By its turn, sendall(buffer) only returns when all buffer is sent(). So, even though sendall() did not come from standard socket library (you do not have it in C), it is really helpful.

Marcelo

I found my problem, it was in the loop() function. I had made it loop by making the loop function call itself when it had finished everything so eventually there were hundreds of the loop function running inside each other so the phone ran out of memory and died.

Thanks for all your help.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by madm1k3 View Post
    I found my problem, it was in the loop() function. I had made it loop by making the loop function call itself when it had finished everything so eventually there were hundreds of the loop function running inside each other so the phone ran out of memory and died.
    You should have seen "RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded" error note. Better check / reconsider your debug logging system.

Cheers,

--jouni

Strange that I didn't get that error then. I was never able to find any errors, even when I was logging to a file, but I was able to find out whereabouts in the script the problem was occurring and changing how the loop is done so that it isn't recursive fixed the problem.

If it makes a difference I am using version '1.4.5' rather than '1.9.7' because I was having a lot of trouble getting '1.9.7' installed on my phone.