Discussion Board

has pys60 development died?

Hi *,

I have been developing an electronic cash client for the mobile phone using pys60. Now, with android etc. coming up, and seeing no further development on the pys60 (1.9.7 has been around forever), is it still worth pursuing this platform as a python dev?

Cheers,

Joerg

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: has pys60 development died?

Quote Originally Posted by jhb View Post
    Hi *,

I have been developing an electronic cash client for the mobile phone using pys60. Now, with android etc. coming up, and seeing no further development on the pys60 (1.9.7 has been around forever), is it still worth pursuing this platform as a python dev?

Cheers,

Joerg
    hello joerg

more than a week ago i was also thinking the same thing

but believe me that we all will get some nice gifts shortly as far as development in PyS60 is considered.

so just saty tuned

Regards,

Smile Re: has pys60 development died?

This looks promising:
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...arts_to_be.php

Xmas time ;-)

Hi delehrm and gaba88,

thanks for the pointer and calming words. This starts to look exiting. I just hope its not a one time effort, but a (re)start of a continious development / publishing cycle.

Santa, please... ;-)

Cheers,

Joerg

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dehlerm View Post
    Xmas time ;-)
    Santa Claus do not forget pys60 devels. We did our job this year, making applications, reporting bugs, helping users

Super Contributor

For those that missed this message about next release, here it again:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...47&postcount=9

Super Contributor

Hmph,

Is pys60 dead? Ever since I realized listboxes don't work (and won't get fixed) in touch devices and performance keeps getting worse release after release, my efforts have gone to iPhone development.

...it's a shame, but I got to write something! I'm addicted to writing software, even if it's "just" freeware and even if I'm the only user (as now with my iPhone apps). Got to code, got to design apps, got to make things, got to release things! PyS60 was ideal for me, since it was so easy to use and so very powerful. Pure pleasure, regardless of unclear future, no built-in support in devices, some defects and limited UI components, difficulty of installation, without discussion connection to development team etc. Even regardless of hostility of Microsoft Vista!

If PyS60 version 2.0 gets released, will I come back? Of course! I'll check how many of my released 25 apps work with it, check whether Listbox defect with touch devices has been fixed, check whether performance with sensor framework is more than 1 screen update per second.

If yes, I got some ideas for new apps. If not, then I'll wait PyS60 2.1 for S60 5.0 Touch UI devices.

Waiting,

--jouni blaming Microsoft Vista for many Nokia development problems, using MacBook Pro nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    ...got to make things, got to release things! PyS60 was ideal for me, since it was so easy to use and so very powerful.....
    I am not an expert, but from what I understand Nokia is years behind the apple appstore. One thing that could that dying old man to life again would be an easy to use development platform, aka python. So I keep my fingers crossed that Nokia sees the possibilities, and supports the python dev much much more. WOr to cite the monkey: developers, developers, developers.... ;-)

Cheers,

Joerg

I'm just a newbie of PyS60. I firmly believe creativity matters.

PyS60 is a great tool and platform to explore the unlimited possibility.

Creativity matters!

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    ...it's a shame, but I got to write something! I'm addicted to writing software, even if it's "just" freeware and even if I'm the only user (as now with my iPhone apps). Got to code, got to design apps, got to make things, got to release things! PyS60 was ideal for me, since it was so easy to use and so very powerful. Pure pleasure, regardless of unclear future, no built-in support in devices, some defects and limited UI components, difficulty of installation, without discussion connection to development team etc.
    [...]
    --jouni blaming Microsoft Vista for many Nokia development problems, using MacBook Pro nowadays
    Perhaps you should give a try to N900 (Maemo 5)? I borrowed one from a friend of mine and it seems it is very promising device, at least for developers/hackers.

It has Python and Python's Qt bindings available, OS supports touch UI, built-in sensors, no SymbianSigned hell, very little restrictions i.e. "root access" to the device's resources etc.
    --
    Aapo Rista
    http://code.google.com/p/pys60gps/
    http://opennetmap.org/

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

PyS602.0 runtime can be downloaded on these devices through IAD.
    N85, N79, N78, N96, N86 8M, 6220classic, 6720classic, 5800 Xpressmusic, 5530 Xpressmusic, 5230, X6 and N97 Mini

scribble application is also available on touch devices listed above.

PyS602.0 documentation will be available online on maemo.garage soon, followed by a complete PyS602.0 release.

Happy New year 2010!

Regards,
    Vijayan

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tvijayan View Post
    Hi,

PyS602.0 runtime can be downloaded on these devices through IAD.
    N85, N79, N78, N96, N86 8M, 6220classic, 6720classic, 5800 Xpressmusic, 5530 Xpressmusic, 5230, X6 and N97 Mini

scribble application is also available on touch devices listed above.

PyS602.0 documentation will be available online on maemo.garage soon, followed by a complete PyS602.0 release.

Happy New year 2010!

Regards,
    Vijayan
    hello vijayan

Happy New year to you and the PyS60 team.

Great to see the update but why all the devices are not included in this list.

I hope the release will support all the devices.

Enjoy Pythoning

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    Great to see the update but why all the devices are not included in this list.

I hope the release will support all the devices.

Enjoy Pythoning
    As such PyS602.0 is supported on all the devices, but for auto download of runtime, the device itself should support software update feature. Not all the Nokia device has this feature.