Discussion Board

Nokia CDMA phone

I've bought a Nokia 3585 phone in US. Its a dual band/tri-mode phone.
    Would this phone work back in India(in the CDMA network)?

Or Can any CDMA phone bought in US work back in India?

nokia 3585

Hi,
    The 3585 is both 800 and 1900 CDMA + it has the Analog built in also. As far as I know, you should have 1900Mhz CDMA in India. You should be in good standing with the phone being compatible.
    However, the question is where you purchased the phone from. When you attempt to activate it in India, the Service Provider will have to access the Programming section on the phone. That is done by entering a Security Code followed by a certain key sequence.
    The task would be to find what that security code would be. Some major CDMA carriers in the US have a different code for each phone - which is revealed only to carriers and it is based on the 11 digit ESN.
    Pull the back cover off your phone and remove the battery. If the model number says 3535, you should be able to reprogram the phone using the following sequence :
    *3001#12345#

If the model number says 3585i, you need what is called a MSL (Master Security Lock - also called a Master Subsidy Lock). This number is phone specific.

Good luck.

Thank you for the response.

Is there anyway i could get the Master security lock?
    My phone is 3585i.
    Would the service provider provide me with the lock?

Thank you.
    Sushanth

3585i MSL

Hi,
    The answer to your questions is, not likely. The reasoning behind this is so people will not do exactly what you are trying to do - not that there is anything wrong with it.
    Service providers will sell products for well under their cost and have to sign a contract to be in service with them for a year or more. They make their money by having you as a customer for that period. Now if you buy a phone at a lower cost from one carrier and activate it on another, carrier 1 is losing money on the deal. The MSL is one way they try and put a stop to it.
    Other ways are locking some of the programming steps so that you cannot change them even if you get into programming.
    About the only way I can think of getting the MSL to your phone would be to find someone that works for SPRINT and have them call the automated 800 number for you. They will have to enter their store ID and their passwords and stuff and then finally the ESN from you're phone. The system will then speakout the MSL for your phone.