Discussion Board

Question Testing GPS Application Using Simulation on RDA

Hi,

My knowledge of mobile development is very basic.
    I have developed a GPS based mobile application. It works fine on actual handset when it receives the actual GPS signals. But now i want to test this application on variety of handset, for this i am using Nokia RDA.
    After searching thru this forum i came to know about this post "Using positioning simulation tool with RDA".
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._tool_with_RDA

As mentioned on this site i have installed the Simulation Application (and also disabled all GPS services except the Simulation) and i am able to set the Location by selecting my NMEA file. I have also cross checked the said location by using Get Location which is available in the SimPsy Configurator and it shows the correct location which is set by the selected NMEA file. I have also tested this with the Nokia Maps and it correctly shows the Location from the NMEA file when i click on 'My Location'.

But when i am running my application on the RDA it does not gets the Location from the NMEA, instead it just waits forever for the GPS signal. i would like to know the cause and the Solution for this wierd problem.
    Do i need to change anything in my code, if yes, then can i get some code snippet which can help me figure out this problem.

Any Help is welcome!!!

Thanks in Advance.
    Yogesh

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Testing GPS Application Using Simulation on RDA

From the "is your PC powered on" type of questions: is your application using the default positioning module or does it have the Internal GPS module hardcoded? What happens id you use the Simulation PSY on your own device (not RDA)?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks ltomuta for your reply...
    Please find my answers to your questions, i hope this may help in finding the root of this problem...

Q1) is your application using the default positioning module or does it have the Internal GPS module hardcoded?
    A1) We have not hardcoded the location manager to work with a particular module. Rather, we ask the device to give us access to any available location method including A-GPS or other provider assisted methods.

Q2) What happens id you use the Simulation PSY on your own device (not RDA)?
    A2) When we tested using simulation PSY on Actual Handset E71 (All other GPS modules were turned OFF),
    it was not showing the location set by the NMEA instead it was continously waiting for the GPS Signal.
    When we went to the MY Location from our own application, the coordinates shown were 0(Zero).
    Whereas when we open the Maps Application it Correctly shows the Location which is Set by our NMEA file.
    Note: The Same behavior is shown on RDA also.

Thanks in Advance
    Yogesh

Nokia Developer Moderator

Ok, so your problem has nothing to do with RDA, you have to review your application and see what makes it special in terms of location acquisition when compared to the SDK examples for example, which are able to use the Simulation PSY on both phone and emulator.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite