Discussion Board

Question Widget IPC - Communication between a WRT widget and a Symbian C++ application

I would like to create a homescreen widget that displays the status of my application running in another process. Is there any method to either send messages from the Symbian C++ application to the WRT widget or the other way?

One thing that occurred to me is to create a file in the C++ app and periodically read its contents from the WRT widget. I guess it might work but it would be more elegant and use less system resources to do it via the memory with some IPC mechanism.

A further idea is listening on a socket in the C++ app and connecting to localhost from the widget via HTTP, but here I need to tackle with implementing the server side HTTP...
    Last edited by kenley; 2009-12-19 at 15:34.
    Imre Kelényi

Re: Widget IPC - Communication between a WRT widget and a Symbian C++ application

hi,
    I am also looking for a same location as you are. i want to interact between wrt and c++ application. As per i know only available solution is using a common file as you mentioned. This method is not a good programming practice. I am yet to test whether this will work. i will let you know by tomorrow if the file concept works well.

In my application , i want my symbian c++ application to read a file created by wrt and speak it out using a TTS.

Quote Originally Posted by kenley View Post
    I would like to create a homescreen widget that displays the status of my application running in another process. Is there any method to either send messages from the Symbian C++ application to the WRT widget or the other way?

One thing that occurred to me is to create a file in the C++ app and periodically read its contents from the WRT widget. I guess it might work but it would be more elegant and use less system resources to do it via the memory with some IPC mechanism.

A further idea is listening on a socket in the C++ app and connecting to localhost from the widget via HTTP, but here I need to tackle with implementing the server side HTTP...