Discussion Board

Help about NFC p2p communication

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on the development of an application including p2p NFC communication between a PC and a mobile phone.
    I would need some advices from more experimented developers to be sure of what is possible to do with NFC and Nokia's NFC phones:

I am thinking about buying a Nokia 6212 (or the future 6216) and an ACR122 reader to be connected with the PC.
    Do you think it's a good choice? Did anyone succeed in establishing p2p communications between such devices yet?

Moreover, is it possible to run an automatic installation of the MIDlet on the mobile when connecting with the reader?

Is it really possible, when the MIDlet is already installed on the mobile, to run it automatically? I have heard that some problems appeared using Pushing Registry with p2p communications...

What kind of information is it possible to get about the mobile or its owner?

Is the Nokia 6212 natively able to read and display text information, without a specific application?

Thank you for your answers.

PS: Sorry for my English...

Re: Help about NFC p2p communication

Can anyone advice me ??

Quote Originally Posted by TR44 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am currently working on the development of an application including p2p NFC communication between a PC and a mobile phone.
    I would need some advices from more experimented developers to be sure of what is possible to do with NFC and Nokia's NFC phones:

I am thinking about buying a Nokia 6212 (or the future 6216) and an ACR122 reader to be connected with the PC.
    Do you think it's a good choice? Did anyone succeed in establishing p2p communications between such devices yet?
    With the lates firmeware versions, this should work

Moreover, is it possible to run an automatic installation of the MIDlet on the mobile when connecting with the reader?
    Well, there could be a NDEF supplied by the reader containing a NDEF with a link to download the app from the web. But you can't transfer the app thru NFC.

Is it really possible, when the MIDlet is already installed on the mobile, to run it automatically? I have heard that some problems appeared using Pushing Registry with p2p communications...
    As far as I know autotlaunch with p2p is not possible.

What kind of information is it possible to get about the mobile or its owner?
    Nokia allows you to retrieve the IMEI. J2ME has as well access to the phone book etc. What are you looking for in detail?

Is the Nokia 6212 natively able to read and display text information, without a specific application?
    You could read a test message from a tag and diplay it to the user ... that should work. I'm unsure if this works with plain text.

best, Geri-m

Thank you for your answers.

PS: Sorry for my English...[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your answer !

I also wanted to know if it is possible to transfer files (like web pages, pictures...) between a reader/writer and a mobile ?
    In that case, which kind of file is it possible to transfer (.html, .txt, .jpg...) ?

Particularly, which format can be natively received by the mobile ?
    Which format could be received by the way of a specific application installed on the mobile ?

Moreover, is the reader/writer able to store a website URL, like would do a tag ?
    Last edited by TR44; 2010-01-18 at 18:02.

There are no native implementations, as file transfer is not covered by the current NDEF specs as far as i know. Your application has to send NDEF Data (as specified by the NFC Forum), so that other devices are able to decode the information. There are currently standards for URLs, Smartposter, SMS, Calls etc. - but you can definier your own "extended" NDEF and therefore provide a data container that fits your needs.

best, geri-m

You have to serialize (byte array) and afterwards deserialize the image and transfer it via NDEF Data like geri mentioned. Google for "Serializing an Image J2ME" and you should get some hints.

I finally ordered the devices.

Waiting for receiving it, I read APIs' specifications useful to develop my application.
    I saw the JSR257 contain interesting classes like the DiscoverManager (and TargetListener) even if it seems to be more adapted to be used with NFC tags.

I wanted to know if it could be possible to use the DiscoverManager to detect the presence of a NFC mobile phone (in targer mode) by the way of the ACR122 reader (in initiator mode) ?