Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] how to install widget application on s40 nokia,samsung

Hi,

I just created a new widget by following a tutorial. I created a zip containing all files and renamed it to HelloWorld.wgt instead of HelloWorld.zip. I sent it to my samsung star/corby via data cable, but when I try to open the wgt file on my phone it says it can't open it, because it doesn't know the filetype. Is there a way to install widgets on a Samsung Star without using a webserver?

Thanks,
    Rahul Makode.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] how to install widget application on s40 nokia,samsung

Who said that Samsung Star supports Nokia's WRT framework? Yes, it does seem to advertise widget support but what widget format would that be? Unfortunately the widget story is very fragmented, there's no waranty that a WRT widget will work anywhere where the widget word is used in the technical specs.

My advice is fo you to find support for your problem at http://innovator.samsungmobile.com

As for WRT widget support on Nokia's Series 40 devices this is again somethign that is currently not supported.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: [moved] how to install widget application on s40 nokia,samsung

Quote Originally Posted by rahul.shalik.makode View Post
    Hi,

I just created a new widget by following a tutorial. I created a zip containing all files and renamed it to HelloWorld.wgt instead of HelloWorld.zip. I sent it to my samsung star/corby via data cable, but when I try to open the wgt file on my phone it says it can't open it, because it doesn't know the filetype. Is there a way to install widgets on a Samsung Star without using a webserver?

Thanks,
    Rahul Makode.
    Maybe you already find the solution at this time, but I see the extension file is wrong, it should be .wgz
    Anyway I hope it does work on your phone.

Regards!