Discussion Board

Question Activate and deactivate Internet Service programmatically (S60 3.2)

Hello!

We need to activate and deactivate the Internet call service programmatically.

We are porting our SIP related Symbian application to FP2 platform. Both SIP and VoIP profiles are created programmatically. I know that before making internet calls the Internet call service must be activated on FP2 devices:
    http://www.nokia.co.uk/search?page=2...llcontent=true

Our idea is to activate this service programmatically on every application start to prevent showing the native popup "Internet call service is not active. Activate now?" on making a VoIP call. We need also to deactivate the service on every application exit and to unregister the corresponding SIP profile (which cannot be unregistered before the Internet call service is deactivated because it is in use).

So, is there any way to activate and deactivate the Internet call service programmatically?

Thank you,
    Mikhail Petrov

Re: Activate and deactivate Internet Service programmatically (S60 3.2)

4) Activating the VoIP service

The VoIP service needs to be activated before the service can be used. The activation can be done in the Contacts menu:

* go to Menu > Contacts and scroll left or right to the VoIP service submenu (showing the name defined for your VoIP service, e.g. Provider)
    * select Activate service

The VoIP service can be activated also when initiating an internet call. If the service is not yet active, the user can activate it when prompted "Internet call service is not active. Activate now?"

The VoIP service stays active until the service is deactivated again.

5) Making an internet call

When the VoIP service is activated, the internet calls can be made in the following way:

* select Options > Call > Internet call when a contact is selected
    * in home screen, enter the number or internet address and select Net call

The internet call can also be set as default call type:

* go to Menu > Contacts and scroll left or right to the VoIP service submenu
    * select Options > Settings
    * set Default net call service = Yes (or Default service in certain devices)

6) Deactivating the VoIP service

The VoIP service can be deactivated in Contacts menu:

* go to Menu > Contacts and scroll left or right to the VoIP service submenu
    * select Options > Deactivate service

The device deregisters from SIP server and the connection is released.

Thanks for answer, but I need to do such things programmatically from my application, without making a user to do it manually from the Contacts application.

Is there any suitable API?

Thanks,
    Mikhail

Hi, sorry but I don't know how to do this programmaticatly. I found this after a long search on the internet.

Good luck with developping. I'm very curious about the application that you are developping.

Chears.

Dear Experts,

I continue working on this issue and still did not find a solution.

Let me describe how it works on the FP1 client. Our application creates SIP and VoIP profiles on start. For SIP profile creation we are using "SIP Profile API". For VoIP profile creation we are using OMA DM API for VoIP. When both profiles are created we are linking VoIP profile to the created SIP profile using DM API for VoIP. After that we enable the SIP profile (so it becomes registered) and make VoIP calls. Everything works fine, VoIP calls can be established. On application exit SIP profile is unregistered successfully.

I see that native VoIP client on FP2 was changed and now it is not enought to register the created SIP profile. When we register the SIP profile and try to make a VoIP call, the native popup "Internet call service is not active. Activate now?" is opened. If we select "Yes", Internet service is activated and the call is established successfully. I found the solution to activate this service automatically. If I set "AutoEnable" setting to 1 in the VoIP profile (using DM API), this popup is not shown and a call is established. The problem is that the SIP profile is not unregistered on application exit. I tried to unregister it using SIP Profile API, I tried to change some DM settings for this SIP profile, but unsuccessfully. It is not allowed, because the SIP profile is used by the active VoIP profile. I tried to set "AutoEnable" DM setting for the active VoIP profile back to 0, it is possible, but it does not deactivate the service. I know that it is possible to deactivate the VoIP profile from the native Contacts application and after the VoIP deactivation SIP profile become unregistered.

So I think what we need is some API for activating and deactivating VoIP services, something like used in the native Contacts application.

Is there any suitable API for it?
    Is it possible for 3-rd party developers at all?

Thanks,
    Mikhail

Hi all,

I have the same requirements as mpetrov. Could not find any API for activating and deactivating VoIP services. CSIPProfile::SetEnabled(TBool aEnabled) seems to just enable/disable the SIP profile but not the service itself.

Cheers