Discussion Board

Proof of concept 5800 homewall

So the basic idea is, your pys60 script runs in the background this updates an image that is used as a wallpaper.
    Rather than use extensions to update I just save two images and manually setup the slideshow to switch between these every minute. I didnt want to use any extra dependencies

The bottom part is weather and moon phase, more detailed weather to follow, the top part is info from a website HUKD that shows the best 5 deals of the day

I am considering using rhe calander instead to inject the info the info from the website as the text can interfear with the mini view of the music playback and the calander itself.

At the moment it lacks menus, the weather is hardcoded to use my home location etc.

Super Contributor

Re: Proof of concept 5800 homewall

Quote Originally Posted by mikiex View Post
    So the basic idea is, your pys60 script runs in the background this updates an image that is used as a wallpaper.
    Rather than use extensions to update I just save two images and manually setup the slideshow to switch between these every minute. I didnt want to use any extra dependencies
    Very tricky idea ! I liked it ! Some code to be shared ?

It doesn't actually run all the time at the moment, while I have been developing it I just run it once to update the images.
    I ran into that problem with the URLLIB DNS memory leak and I am yet to add some exceptions for when it doesnt find a net connection etc.

One thing I am also not sure about is how to have the menus working and it updating every hour or so.
    So I need to be able to run the menus at the same time or be able to break the wait code to get to the menu?. I've not seen example of this?

Here is the current code (but I have ommited my key for worldweatheronline URL)
    This part "************INSERT KEY************" needs to be replaced by a valid key which you can get for free from the
    worldweatheronline website, or use my key which I can send over pm or something, but I dont want to post it here.

http://pastebin.com/f6b83e9ec

was too long for the forum!!

you also need the icon files
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/j4mqrm12ghl/DATA.zip

one is missing as in that screenshot I sent, it fell back to an old icon and I havent added transparent rendering yet
    but alpha images of each icon are ready to go.

btw does anyone know how to stop images from appearing in the gallery, is it not put them in the data folder? All my icon files show up there

I noticed the latest community app for facebook etc. by nokia also dumps cached images into a place where the gallery picks them up - very annoying