Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem Installing Midlet in Nokia E63.

Hello Friends.

I'm developing application using j2me.

I've tested my application on emulator(both jdk and eclipseME). Also I'm succesful in testing the unsigned version of my app on Nokia 3110c (a S40 device). But when I try deploying the same on nokia E63(a S60 device) it gives an error. Installation on E63 almost goes upto 80%(progress bar), but shows an error saying unable to certify.

Now my first question is, Is it a must to get my app signed?(to install on s60 devices)

After the above process, I decided to self-sign my app using keytool of JDK. I was able to self-sign my midlet(though not with a proper CA certificate).
    Now trying with nokia E63, gives the same old error.
    Also if I try installing this app on nokia 3110c, I get a error saying "cetificate not found on phone or sim".

Now my second question is, Can we not use a self-signed midlet for testing purposes only?(later i may buy one from verisign or thawte)

Now my third question and request is, have anyone one of you come across above problems? is yes please help me...

Let me know if you want anymore info.

Happy New Year 2010.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Roopesh

Regular Contributor

Re: Problem Installing Midlet in Nokia E63.

Hi,

The answer to your first question is that its not necessary to get the applications certified for installing it on S60 devices.

The answer to your second question is that we cannot use self signed certificate in J2ME. In order to use any certificate either Verisign or Thawte you need to have the root certificate of the same. Self-signed certificate won't work in J2ME.

Moreover, do you get the same problem on every S60 handset. In case you have not tested on any other device then please check it on some other S60 device. Also, please make sure that CLDC and MIDP versions are compatible with the E63 device. E63 supports CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0, make sure that it is proper in the application that you are installing in this device.

Hope this will help you out.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

1) No need to sign the J2me app for unlocked S60 devices, check the Security policy of your device and switch off online certificate check.

2) Self-signed midlet doesnot work on the device, until you install or add the root certifictae for your selfsigned certificate on the device (which can be added on with the new firmware installation on the device)

3) I did face it once when I was trying to install some app's on a T-mobile locked device.

thanks,
    Ekta

Thanks for reply sunil.

Quote Originally Posted by sunil_bhambani123 View Post
    Hi,
    Moreover, do you get the same problem on every S60 handset. In case you have not tested on any other device then please check it on some other S60 device. Also, please make sure that CLDC and MIDP versions are compatible with the E63 device. E63 supports CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0, make sure that it is proper in the application that you are installing in this device.

Hope this will help you out.
    I've not tried installing on any other s60 device.
    I'm sure that i'm using CLDC1.1 and MIDP2.0 versions itself.
    But still not able to solve the problem.

Thanks for the reply ekta.

Quote Originally Posted by ektasrv View Post
    1) No need to sign the J2me app for unlocked S60 devices...
    Ekta
    What do you mean by unloked s60 devices?

Quote Originally Posted by ektasrv View Post
    2) Self-signed midlet doesnot work on the device, until you install or add the root certifictae for your selfsigned certificate on the device (which can be added on with the new firmware installation on the device)

Ekta
    Can you please tell me more(or provide me some links) about installing my self-signed certificate on device.
    Thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

Hi,

If you have not tested it on any other device then please do so. If you don't have any other device then please look at Nokia's RDA i.e. Remote Device Access. It gives access to real devices so you can check your application on that if you want.
    Sunil

Hi,

If you have not tested it on any other device then please do so. If you don't have any other device then please look at Nokia's RDA i.e. Remote Device Access. It gives access to real devices so you can check your application on that if you want.
    Thanks for the suggestion sunil.

I tried the nokia's RDA. It was really a good tool to know about software platforms and UIs of different phones.
    But, I don't think its a good tool for developers for testing.
    That's because, I tried installing unsigned MIDlets while setting was to allow only signed midlets. But still, these phones didn't give any errors and the midlet was successfully installed.

Even in E63, my midlet was installed without errors. But that's not the case with real device. So, my problem is not solved yet.

-Roopesh

Super Contributor

You do not need to sign a MIDlet, and you cannot sign with your own certificate (you must obtain one from Verisign or Thawte, or some other provider, depending on device).

The fact that your MIDlet installs on other devices (including another E63) suggests that your MIDlet is fine, and your E63 is the problem. How are you installing? By Bluetooth or USB, or OTA (over-the-air, using the mobile phone network)?

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by roopesh.kumar View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion sunil.

That's because, I tried installing unsigned MIDlets while setting was to allow only signed midlets. But still, these phones didn't give any errors and the midlet was successfully installed.

Even in E63, my midlet was installed without errors. But that's not the case with real device. So, my problem is not solved yet.

-Roopesh

Hi,

First of all what do you mean by these phones, do you mean phones available in RDA or some other device? Have you tested your application on E63 available in RDA or another device with you. In anyway, the application gets installed means there's a problem with your handset. Try to restore factory default setting and then again install the application.
    Sunil

Thanks for reply Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    The fact that your MIDlet installs on other devices (including another E63).
    I have used 3110c and two E63s. There is no problem on 3110c. But both E63s give problem for unsigned midlet.

How are you installing? By Bluetooth or USB, or OTA (over-the-air, using the mobile phone network)?
    I use USB with Nokia PC suite.
    -Roopesh

Thanks for reply Sunil.
    Hi,
    First of all what do you mean by these phones, do you mean phones available in RDA or some other device?
    I mean the phones available in RDA.

Hi,
    Have you tested your application on E63 available in RDA or another device with you.
    I've tested my midlet on E63 availabe in RDA. I worked fine.
    Also, I've tested with another E63(real device), this one also gives problem..!

Hi,
    ...the application gets installed means there's a problem with your handset. Try to restore factory default setting and then again install the application.
    I want to know what is that problem with E63.
    Anyways, I'll try restoring factory default settings.

-Roopesh.

Super Contributor

In Settings/Applications/Application Manager, do you have Software Installation set to "all", and Online Certificate Check set to "off"?

Can you install OTA (over-the-air, using the mobile network)?

Graham.

Hi Graham,
    In Settings/Applications/Application Manager, do you have Software Installation set to "all", and Online Certificate Check set to "off"?
    I have all those settings right.

Can you install OTA (over-the-air, using the mobile network)?
    I have not tried OTA. Since I felt, it is little difficult task than using USB.
    Also, it requires web server and I dont know about servers at all!

Thumbs up Re: Problem Installing Midlet in Nokia E63.

Hi Friends...
    Thanks for all those who replied to my post.

After more than 2 months... My app can now be installed on E63.
    The problem I've discussed above is probably not specific to E63, but prevails in many or all s60(or advanced) phones.

The problem was not with E63 but with my code. But, this problem/error was not considered as a issue in 3110c( s40 phones.)

The problems or errors was with two class files...
    1) A "Test" class, I had used for testing many methods of my app. This class consisted of "main()" of java. I guess, s60/advanced phones doesn't allow "main()" method to be used. (Since it seems like second start point for the app, I guess).
    2) "VerifyDate" class. In this class I had made use of "CalendarImpl" (com.sun.cldc.util.j2me.CalendarImpl). I don't know how this posed problems...!
    But, when I replaced usage of "CalendarImpl" by static methods of "Calendar"(java.util.Calendar), the problem was solved.

I hope my experiences with this problem will help someone, someday.

Regards,
    Roopesh.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by roopesh.kumar View Post
    2) "VerifyDate" class. In this class I had made use of "CalendarImpl" (com.sun.cldc.util.j2me.CalendarImpl). I don't know how this posed problems...!
    This class is not part of the API. You may only use API classes (those documented in the Java Docs). The phone might not have any such class as com.sun.cldc.util.j2me.CalendarImpl. It is specifically part of Sun's implementation of CLDC, and not part of the CLDC API.

Graham.