Discussion Board

Scheduling some task for future Date and Time

Hi all,
    I want to develop a functionality in J2ME using LCDUI in which a user can schedule some specific task (for e.g Backup of Contacts) on a specific day,date or time. I have developed the backup functionality but got stuck with the scheduling part of it.My UI will take the below three Parameters for this:
    1. Set Time for Backup
    2. Set Freuency(which can be daily, weekly)
    3. Set Days

Now the problem goes like this:

I am not able to set the time, my requirement is that when the user select the Set time for backup option , he shoud be able to see the current time and at the same time he should also be able to change the time for scheduling the backup.Its quite possible with sun's emulator by using the DATE function. But while working with S60 it is not Displaying the Current time to the user, it displays the blank Time feild for the first time till the user presses some numeric key.

Do let me know in case of any clarification about the issue described above.

Please Provide me some inputs on this, or if you have suggestion on improving
    the UI based on my requirements please do let me know.

Waiting for your valuable inputs.

Regular Contributor

Re: Scheduling some task for future Date and Time

Hi,

The task that you are looking to do is basically sync between your mobile and PC (or server). But have you checked the technical feasibility of this application? There are number of confirmation that will pop up. Moreover, how will your application know when to sync the data? Will your application continuously work in background, which may not be possible in all J2ME devices? Will you use Push Registry, which again will involve confirmations? Even if you go for signing the MIDlet I doubt whether all the confirmation will go away.

Coming to your problem, fetch the system date and set it for the TextField Current Date. There should be another Textfield below it which will allow user to set the schedule date, here user will enter the date.

I will again suggest you to first check the technical feasibility if you haven't. Moreover, if syncing contacts is what you want then go for open source funambol already available. It is open source SyncML server and also has client applications for most of the Mobile Platforms.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

Hi Sunil,
    Thanks for your reply.Sorry,My requirement has changed a little, Now what i want is mainly concerned with the UI part, I need to get the Time & Day from the user,And At that time on That particular Day I need to Show him a Reminder type of alert to manually Do the backup.

So the Screen should be like

1. It should have a textfield which displays current time and it should be editable, so that a user can set his own time.All Time related validations should be there.Like it should be in (for e.g "12:30") this format.
    2.A day popup will be there in which a user can mark the Day/Days for recieving that Reminder Alert.

Thanks
    Vinay
    Last edited by vinay_saraswat; 2010-01-05 at 01:17.

Hi,
    Anyone? Please,provide some inputs on the below mentioned scenario??
    My app. should facilitate the user to set the time like we use to set on s60 3rd edition emulator (time&date settings options).Precisely in bracketed format ("12:30 PM").

The user should be able to change the time to any other valid future time depending upon his choice . At that particular time i will show him the needed alert. Please,suggest me something.

Thanks
    Vinay