Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Samplephonebook on S60 not possible with opensigned online?

Hello,
    When I try to sign samplephonebook.sis using open signed online, I get a message: The .sis file contains capabilities that are not permitted for Open Signed (Online). Can anyone confirm that it is not possible to get the phonebook running on a S60 device without buying whatever kind of certificate? Is there maybe another way? I guess if the samplephonebook is not signable using symbian signed online, my own application will need the same capabilities as well.

If this is true and given the fact that the only other implementations are for win mobile and maemo 6 which are not available here, any suggestions how to play around with that API?

Axel

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Samplephonebook on S60 not possible with opensigned online?

Open component's project file and have a look at the capabilities declared for it. Which are they and why are they needed?

To solve the puzzle, replace the capabilities with None, clean and rebuild the project then run it in the emulator. Go through all the features and the close the app and the emulator, open %temp%\epocwind.out and do a search for *PlatSec*. You will see a set of warning messages, some of them initiated from your app's process, all telling you about Capability X missing.

Make a list of these missing capabilities and then add them to the project. Re-build for device and sign according to the needs (for such feature the capabilities needed should be grantable through Open Signed Online).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Now I see that AllFiles is declared. Somebody must be kidding ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello Itomuta,
    thank your for your help. By modifying your algorithm from the first post, I just found out about the same time that AllFiles was declared. My strategy was to compare the declared capabilities with this table: http://www.newlc.com/en/symbiansigned-and-capabilities AllFiles was the only candidate that was not grantable with symbian signed online.

I got it working now. Can you tell the guys to modify their example? I guess they are sitting maybe in the same building? ATM they are very interested in feedback and you can probably better explain them why it is a bad idea to have AllFiles there.

I'm on vacation now and hopefully there are no Qt trolls in my building But I will send them a note about this discussion.

Please note that while AllFiles is the obvious candidate to removal (from signing perspective) it might actually be needed if the code implements some weird feature and attempts direct access to some protected file. Which I hope it doesn't do.
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

Obviously you miss your work or got bored during vacation

As far as I see, the program works fine: Reading the native adressbook of my phone works and this is what I expect the example to do. If it does weired things, it is probably not a good example for an adresssbook at all. Most people will just copy and paste from the examples, so they should be best practise.

Feedback sent.
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Expert

And feedback has been applied.

--
    Alex