Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Server socket connection fails when resuming midlet

Hi,

I've got a server socket connection running all the time when my application is online but when my application gets suspended because of a call / battery low notification or something else, i get an exception:

java.io.IOException: invalid handle during socket::write

I don't touch the connection so i assume that it's failing just because the application is being paused.

Anyone has every encountered this problem ? is there some kind of code so that the application will never be suspended and if there's a call it will be set to the background ?

I fixed this with an SDK other than Nokia but i'm still restricted with the phone make (and i want this application to be suitable for various phones such as nokia, sony ericsson etc...), so i would like to have some function to fix my problem maybe just handle the connection not to fail, the thing is that i can't afford that the connection fails because it costs too much to re-connect, so it isn't a solution because i already thought about it :-/

Super Contributor

Re: Server socket connection fails when resuming midlet

The action taken by the device when there is an incoming call (or similar event) is device dependent, and is not under your control.

On what device is this happening?

To what are you connecting through the ServerSocketConnection?

Graham.

Regular Contributor

So this is happening actually on an emulator of a particular phone (it's not a popular phone make and i prefer not to mention it here if it's not a problem) that particular phone make has their own sdk and i'm working with that but my actual target is to develop an application with the normal j2me sdk and use contactless api (nokia) and location api (which i'm currently using with this phone and obviously could be used with other phones)

If location and/or contactless are available they will be loaded, else it's not a problem.

That's why i'm asking if you might know some details that could help me identify the problem because i think that when the application gets suspended certain resources needs to be released ey ? We could talk about nokia for the time being so that i will know what other sdk's support and as i told you my main objective is to used the basic J2ME sdk so i'm not going to use nokia / or this phone make i'm telling you. Their functionality will be loaded dynamically during runtime.

Btw: i'm actually using a Socket Connection not Server Socket Connection to connect to a php application on a server...

Super Contributor

It would help if you'd tell us what SDK you're using. Most SDK emulators do not accurately represent the behaviour of the actual device. Incoming call issues really need to be tested on actual devices. It's not a question of what "SDK's support", it's a question of how devices behave.

If there is an incoming call, network connections may well get closed, in which case you will need to re-establish connection. Most devices cannot support simultaneous voice and data.

For many devices, there is nothing you can do to "handle" an incoming call - your application might simply be suspended without warning.

Graham.