Discussion Board

Upgrading an app

Hello everybody,

I am just about to submit my app to Ovi. One question first, though.

In case there is some bug in my app I'll have to, naturally, correct it and re-submit. Let's say the re-submitted version gets accepted and lands in Ovi.

The question: what happens to the existing users of my first (buggy) version? Do they automatically get notified about the new version? And most importantly, do they have to *pay* again to download the corrected version?

It would seem fair if they would get

a) notified
    b) they wouldn't have to pay

or better yet, it would be perfect if the developer could decide separate price points for new users and existing users of an application. This way developer could make it possible to upgrade for free ( in case of bug corrections only ) of for a small fee ( in case the new version had some additional functionality ).

Super Contributor

Exclamation Re: Upgrading an app

Quote Originally Posted by Utumno View Post
    Hello everybody,

I am just about to submit my app to Ovi. One question first, though.

In case there is some bug in my app I'll have to, naturally, correct it and re-submit. Let's say the re-submitted version gets accepted and lands in Ovi.

The question: what happens to the existing users of my first (buggy) version? Do they automatically get notified about the new version? And most importantly, do they have to *pay* again to download the corrected version?

a) notified

or better yet, it would be perfect if the developer could decide separate price points for new users and existing users of an application. This way developer could make it possible to upgrade for free ( in case of bug corrections only ) of for a small fee ( in case the new version had some additional functionality ).
    Hi most questions were answered in a post the thread Regarding updating the Application in OVI Store

a) notified
    Users with the latest Ovi client auto upgraded which allows users to upgrade via download. This is not automatic and the user has to ask client to check for updates. Old versions of the client will not perform updates.

You cannot apply discounts one price fits all currency and buyers. This would be far more complex than Ovi Store could cope with when selling across some 200 countries many of which have anti-trust and discrimination laws which prevent this form of discounting across country borders.

As for buggy versions, the cost of resigning a QA failure for incorrect activity is high often more than $200. Thoroughly testing the app is a good idea because this damages your companies reputation. This is apart from the requirement to reply to emails with 48 hours.

New design features e.g.new levels etc., should be introduced in new upgrades and of course tested.

A common way is to distribute using developer IMEI certificate to get feedback and in idea the popularity of your app before you spend money on signing.

Thanks,
    Jim