Discussion Board

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Does this problem apear in the newer models (ex. 6230, 7610)?
    I am working in a project, which requires taking high quality photos via MMAPI.
    I had decided to purchased 3650 and 6600 (and also sent the forms) for developing, but it seems to be a bad decision now, right? :-(

Is there any Nokia model can do this job well,
    or in the worst case, i have to choose from the phones manufactured by other campanies?

Regular Contributor

o

do you know of a phone from any other maker that can do it? I was kind of hoping that the new S-E K700 might do it....

simon

After reading through this post (30+ replies!) it seems to me that using the camera via Java is hopeless. What suprises me even more though is the lack of comment by anyone at Nokia - even just a quick "yes you are correct that there is a fixed resolution" would be nice.

I've written an application in C++ which uses the camera and I must admit is surprisingly fast on the Nokia 6600. I was hoping to port it to Java to increase the number of phones that could use it (Isn't that why we use Java?) but think i'll forget it after reading this post.

In the native OS there are simple ways to get a picture which are very fast and simple. GetImage() for example which just returns the raw pixel data in an array without any other header info or conversion. It's a real shame this isn't supported by Nokia's implementation of the MMAPI.

Maybe Nokia has commented on this somewhere else that I can't find. Surely though a quick comment on this thread would be appropriate?

-P

It is explained

I believe it is explained in a "Known Issues" document on the 6600 that was released not long ago.

Jonatan.

I tested the Nokia 7610, although it is a 1-megapixel imaging phone, it's MMAPI also return the resolution of 160*120 with JPEG format on the device, the quality is still very poor.

Same shit on SE k700i.

Cant get any higher res/quality than 160x120.
    Not even Nokia 6630 will do it for me.
    This is crazy folks. How long do we have to put up with this?

Check the following

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,,0...ml&fileID=6770

and there the item
    Mobile Media API-captured image, KIJ000106

I suppose the the same applies also to earlier than Nokia 6600 (Series 60 devices), such as Nokia 3650, but should be somewhat better on devices after Nokia 6600 such as 6620 and Nokia 7610 (based on Series 60 v2.0 feature pack 1 or newer).

Jarkko

Resizing

Hello all!

The problem with the MMAPI is the snapshot capturing. In default, it takes a image with the mobile´s display size. If you especify height and width, the image is taken at display´s size too, and then is resized digitally to the size that you specify. Then, the quality is the same that if you take a default snapshot, send it to the computer (via bluetooth, for example) and resize it with the Paintbrush. A total shit!

Super Contributor

Re: Camera quality low with MMAPI!

may be it can help those who are looking for a phone that can take good photos :
    the 6680 is ok, 640*480 jpeg in j2me, with the parameters given earlier

if anyone knows other phones that are able to take good java-photos, i'm interrested

Regular Contributor

I am suffering from same low quality issue on Nokia 6620 and 6682. Has there been any resolution or further information on this issue? I have been able to capture up to 640x480 on the 6682, but never 1280x960

I would also like to adjust imager brightness. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

- Thanks, David Manpearl <dmanpearl_at_imatte_dot_com>

The N70 captures pretty good quality at 640*480, significantly better than the 7610. I assume this is because it is FP3

Creating a software to capture pictures. However, I'm unsuccessful in capturing it in 640 * 480 even after using USE_GUI_PRIMITIVE.it throws Media Exception error, Format Not Supported when I pass in "encoding=png&width=640&height=480"arguement for getSnapshot(). I even force deploy to my 6680 with (*#0000#)v3.04.12 25-04-05 RM-36. The similiar software I am developing is with
    Netbeans5.0(with profiler n moblity) using
    Java j2sdk1.4.2_10. As for Nokia developmend I’m using
    ns60_jme_sdk_fp3 & fp2,
    nptsdk_jme_v4.0 &
    nds_jme_v3.0.1.
    Even on the emulators it throws media exception not supported for all the emulators and SDK when I throw in “width” & “height”. What could be my problem? What platform did you guys develop on? I can't take this on any longer.
    HELP!!

Regular Contributor

Check which formats are supported with:
    Code:
    System.getProperty("video.snapshot.encodings")
    Some phones (i.e. Nokia 6682) support both "encoding=image/png" and "encoding=png". The difference is uncertain. You may simply have to add "image/" to your argument string:
    "encoding=image/png&width=640&height=480"
    - David
    P.S. If anyone knows the difference between formats "image/fmt" and "fmt", please enlighten us?

thing is.. "encoding=png" / "encoding=jpeg" / "encoding=bmp" works...
    I wanna know why if included "encoding=png&width=640&height=480" doesn't work and throws a media format not supported error.

Regular Contributor

I reluctantly worry that you may not have checked the output as suggested above of:
    System.getProperty("video.snapshot.encodings")
    None of the formats returned by this call should throw a "format not supported" error. If they do, then it is a whole new issue and I am sure that Nokia engineers will comment.

By the way, when I have difficulty with "width=640&height=480" (and especially "width=1280&height=960", which I have never got to work), the system quietly terminates the thread with no exception or hint as to what happened - Arrrrgh!
    I believe that this is a bug and it is happening in:
    Image.createImage()
    I would appreciate comments from anyone with knowledge about this.

Finally, I just ran some tests in a MIDlet. I can confirm that when there is a typo in the format string, then getSnapshot() throws a MediaException: "not supported format".

- Regards, David <dmanpearl_at_imatte_dot_com>