Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Camera quality low with MMAPI!

I'm developing a midlet which uses the MMAPI. The snapshots taken with the camera of the 3650 in my midlet look horrible compared to the pictures taken with the native Camera application.

I've tried using both png and jpeg formats, both are very low quality.

For an example, look here:
    http://www.dlcc.de/misc/compare.html

I would really appreciate a feedback on this issue, maybe the Nokia People can comment on this?

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue with my midlet who takes a snapshot and stores the image (jpg or png) into the RMS.

However, when I try the Camera MIDlet Example from Forum Nokia (http://www.forum.nokia.com/ndsCookie...leParamID=2778), it works fine and the quality is similar to the quality of the native camera application.

What's wrong ?

Yes I also would be interested in good image quality.

Hi i'm italian developer!
    You writed in nokia forum:

<----------------------------
    I'm developing a midlet which uses the MMAPI. The snapshots taken with the camera of the 3650 in my midlet look horrible compared to the pictures taken with the native Camera application.

<http://www.dlcc.de/misc/compare.html>
    -------------------------------->

I used the function getScreenshot of VideoControl class (J2ME)! In this function is possible specified the format and dimension of snapshot! If you insert null the format default is PNG! What is the String parameter for save the image in JPG format and other dimension (ex. 160x120) ??
    Thank's in advance!

No solution yet?

Image quality is still poor and no comments from Nokia. Can we expect that this will improve in future phone/firmware releases?
    This is very important for future development, as with that poor quality it's not worth developing apps that use the camera.

taking SnapShot in png format in (Nokia 3650)

excuse me... well hope you could help me Mr.luemkemann as u dealt with MMAPI..

i tried the example that exists in doc "Camera MIDlet: A Mobile Media API Example" on emulator Nokia 3650 not on real one.

at line: byte[] pngimage =vc.getSnapshot(null);

it throws EOFException and can't read int[] when i'm passing null or "pnp" format.

plus there is folder one of emulator folders is called camera.. i thought when i place my images there it could be viewed with the emulator at run time... but it keeps displaying the default images..

is this example should be tried on real phone!!

any Help,any tips..

You wrote:
    ---------------------------

http://www.dlcc.de/misc/compare.html
    ---------------------------

Try to use
    byte[] pngImage = videoControl.getSnapshot("width=240&height=180")

240*180 is maximum compatible quality with my 3650.
    The quality is little bit better than default 160*120 but still is not comparable with photos made by native camera 640*480
    Can we expect Nokia will solve this problem?

Yes Nokia should try to solve this problem, or at least give us some more hints...

I am experienceing the same problem. My application works fine when I use a picture taken by the General Camera program but when the applicaiton takes its own photo with the MMAPI the image has very poor quality. Where is Nokia's answer on this one?

I too have tried this on the 3650 and can confirm the image quality is terrible. I tried it in various light conditions and in sunny outdoor conditions you can hardly see the image, its just completly white while indoors its very very dark.

It would be nice of Nokia to at least respond to this post and let us know if this will be fixed for the 6600.

The application I am currently developing for the 3650 is now going to be shelved because we have decided the quality is too poor to use in a commercial app.

hi andreyg

did the resolution 240*180 also work on the emulator or have you only tried it on the device?

Greets
    cfrasci

Hi

It works only on device. Emulator successfully hangs

There is supposed to be a list of all known bugs in the 3650 KVM, supposedly on this site. Does anybody know where?

hi andreyg

I tested it until resolution of 640*480 with JPEG format on the device. It works, but quality is still very poor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast