Discussion Board

Smile mobile java game porting.

my main concept is porting executable java game from one mobile handset to another handset. here one handset is default and another handset with differnt screen resolution.
    HOW CAN I DO IT?

Super Contributor

Re: mobile java game porting.

You might find this document helpful.

When you say "porting executable", do you mean that you don't have the source code?

How you do it... that depends on the what source material (code, artwork, etc.) you have, and how the code is written. Also, how different the screen sizes are.

What are the source and target devices?

If you install the existing JAR on the target device, how well (or badly) does it work?

Graham.

I have developed a small game which is very simple its done with coding(with source) and which excuted in wireless toolkit and where it has default color phone and resultant output is error free. now how can i port that game into different series of nokia and other mobile phones.

Super Contributor

Have you tried running it on a phone?

First i would try to get the game running on the different nokia emulators. This doesn`t mean it will run on the mobile phone for shure, but in case it fails on the emulator it probably will fail on the phone too. ;) So get it running on the emulators and you have a good chance of running the game on the real device.

Usually you don`t have to test on every phone but this needs some experience to group the phones and use reference devices for certain display sizes and os.

porting is a big problem, not just screen resolution.
    You must try to install you program on the device and test it fully. You'll always find "suprise" with some special device.

I think the most valuable thing is experience about device when porting. I don't think there are tools to do that thing.

Thumbs up Re: mobile java game porting.

How can it be possible to port an executable file game to a mobile....

Anyway, as u know, all devices are not having the same resolution. They vary as 128x160, 176x220, 240x320, 320x240, etc. Evenif, regarding the screen resolution problem u can have three solutions for that.

One is to release different application for each devices of each resolution category.

Or else embed the different sized images in the jar file and access the appropriate image according to the display ratio. It can be got from getHeight() and getWidth() methods. For eg:- for a device with 240x320 the result of getWidth() and getHeigth() will be 240 and 320.

Or else you can rescale images according to the resolution. If u need, i can provide you this.

Regards
    Vineeth K.

Dont forget different key management, different apis and strange behaviour on certain phones...

e.g. 2 phones with the 3D Api (JSR 182). On one phone the texture is painted on the other phone not. Instead of doing 2 builds try to refactor code to get it running on both.

There are a lot of examples where the specification should be the same but the result on the actual device is different.