Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Signing and setting UID of jar file

Hi!

I'm kind of new to Java.

I've got a Jar file (myapp.jar) that is a basic "Hello World"-like application. Before installing it on the phone, does the application require to be signed?
    How does one set a specific UID for the application?

I checked on the wiki, but it says :
    "A MIDlet can have a predefined UID attribute in the same way as native executables. Beginning from S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2, this is accomplished using a new JAD/JAR manifest attribute Nokia-MIDlet-UID-<n>, where <n> stands for the MIDlet's number inside the MIDlet suite as with some other attributes."
    I am using a Nokia N73 (S60 Maintenance Release). Is there any way I can set the UID of the application to something specific? And if not, is there anyway to determine the UID of the application after it has been installed on the phone?

Thanks
    Kedar
    Thanks
    Kedar

Super Contributor

Re: Signing and setting UID of jar file

It doesn't need to be signed, and it doesn't need to be given a UID. You can set the UID, but only (as the wiki says) on later versions of S60.

Remember that a Java MIDlet is not a Symbian application, hence it doesn't need signing or a UID. The same JAR can be installed on Symbian 8 and Symbian 9, Series 40, Windows Mobile, Motorola phones, Sony Ericsson's proprietary platform, and so on.

So far as determining the UID... I'm not sure, but I think you cannot (hence they added a feature to set it). However, there are some articles in the wiki about launching MIDlets from Symbian apps, which might tell you more.

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Thanks..

Basically, I need to call a Java midlet from a Python script I have written. The calling function (laa module) calls the application using its uid. Hence, I was hoping I could find its UID somehow.

Coming back to my question, if I have some UID's (protected range) from Symbian Signed, is there no way I can give my (Java) application those UID's?

Kedar

Super Contributor

Only on 3rd FP2 and later. Otherwise, no.

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by huaer123 View Post
    <spam message removed from here>
    Ok.. Totally not following

Only on 3rd FP2 and later. Otherwise, no.
    One way to figure out the UID is to use the applist module in Python. Using this, I found the UID assigned to my Java midlet.
    Last edited by hartti; 2010-01-06 at 07:19. Reason: edited away reference to spam message