Discussion Board

Thread: Java Tool

Super Contributor

Java Tool

Hi all,

I wanna know is there exists any such tool that can review the whole code written j2me(java) and tells whther the code is optimized or not like if am not making the same object again nd again in my code but I havent noticed it due to large project size therefore increasing heap size on long runs of my app
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Regular Contributor

Re: Java Tool

Try memory monitor utility in WTK 2.5.2

Super Contributor

thanks 4 ur reply but I am asking If I had done any blunder like creating an object again nd again in canvas paint method nd my project is too vast to search in each method moreover the code is written by a team so you can understand how hectic is to optimize different coding techinques, so is dere any ready made tool to do so
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Super Contributor

There are automated code analysis tools for Java, but they can be expensive ($1000+). Google will find a bunch for you. How useful they are will depend what problems you have. I'm not sure they would help with optimization, since they work by static analysis and there are some things you only discover by running the code. As aj4mobile suggests, there are some tools in the WTK for helping you with runtime analysis.

There are no MIDP-specific tools that I'm aware of. Java (SE) tools still make sense for MIDP, though they won't help you identify many portability issues.

If you're concerned about too many objects taking too much memory (objects taking memory when you don't want them too), you may have too many non-local variables.

If you're finding the code too complex to review by hand, then you may want to introduce practices like coding standards and peer reviews. If you're builing well defined, encapsulated components, you should be able to review components individually, without having to review the entire application as a whole.

Graham.

Super Contributor

Thanks Graham for your valuble answere I will look into it nd $1000 is handsome money I dont think its worth enough 2 use such tools for j2me projects as dey are low in budget
    Regards,
    Saurabh