Discussion Board

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    (Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Jan 2010 - Calling All Innovators

Calling All Innovators 2010

Nokia’s Calling All Innovators contest is back and it's bigger than ever.

As always, the contest is once again about inspiring creativity and developing change.
    • Inspiring creativity in the projects submitted by developers working on mobile applications and content for use on Nokia’s latest devices.
    • Developing change in the ways we continue to think about how we use our mobile devices today, and how we may be using them in the future.

The 2010 Calling All Innovators contest features four categories for submissions:

Eco/Being Green
    Like its name implies, this category challenges developers to help save the planet with innovative, eco-friendly applications for use on Nokia devices.

Entertainment
    Here’s your chance to submit apps that rock, and show off the coolest multimedia features that are available on the latest Nokia mobile devices. This includes music, multimedia and games.

Productivity
    This category seeks mobile applications that make consumer’s daily lives easier and help them to be more efficient, such as utilities, business, or personal finance applications.

Life Improvement
    This category seeks applications that positively affect the daily lives of people living in developing countries, and may include education, agriculture, health and more.

Additionally, Nokia has teamed up with Sesame Workshop, the producers behind Sesame Street, for the education subcategory within the life improvement category to encourage developers to create and offer applications for Nokia devices that teach early literacy to communities around the world. Sesame Workshop will offer guidance during the judging process and work with select developers to further enhance relevant projects.

The collaboration will encourage developers to create educational applications for consumers around the world, and possibly allow some developers to work with the Sesame Street characters. As Sesame Street celebrates its 40th anniversary, this collaboration helps to extend its "longest street in the world" into the digital one. With an expertise in using media to reach children, the nonprofit is looking to mobile as the newest distribution channel of literacy-based content through accessible mass media.

More details about all four contest categories, as well as details about special prizes will be announced soon.

And, stay tuned: Nokia's CEO will announce a new, special category for the contest during his keynote speech at CES on Friday, 8 January 2010.

Submissions for the 2010 Calling All Innovators contest will be accepted starting on Monday, 1 February 2010.

Meanwhile, you can register for the contest now.

And, this year, Forum Nokia is inviting individuals to share their stories about the mobile apps that they use on Nokia devices today, and the positive effect those apps have on their lives. Share your own stories.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nokia Ron; 2010-02-12 at 15:33.

Re: Jan 2010 - Calling All Innovators

Hi Ron,

Re: The collaboration will encourage developers to create educational applications for consumers around the world, and possibly allow some developers to work with the Sesame Street characters.

How does a company find out if they qualify to actually use the Sesame Street characters?

Also, do you happen to know what is the final submission deadline? I can't seem to find it on the Innovators site :-)

Stephanie

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

I'll find out from the team running this contest.

Ron

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yiibu_steph View Post
    Also, do you happen to know what is the final submission deadline? I can't seem to find it on the Innovators site :-)

Stephanie
    Quoted from the Rules page on callingallinnovators.com

The Contest begins at 10am PST Friday, January 8th, 2010, the submission period closes at 11:59pm PST Sunday, April 18th, 2010 (the “Submission Period”) and a winner will be announced in June of 2010 at a to be determined venue on a to be announced date (the "Contest Period").
    Rules page: http://www.callingallinnovators.com/rules.aspx
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Nokia Developer Expert

Stephanie - good questions - and sorry for any confusion!

For the education apps in the Life Improvement category, the top 10 finalists, as selected by Nokia's judges along with representatives from Sesame Workshop, will have the opportunity to use the Sesame Street Muppet characters.

The final deadline for app submissions is 18 May 2010, and finalists will be announced in June. We will be updating the contest website by 1 February with additional information for developers, and you may begin to submit applications for the contest on that date.

The dates noted by @croozeus in a separate reply are specific to the Growth Economy Venture Challenge, which has different requirements for submission, and its own deadline for submissions.

Feel free to let me know if you have additional questions. And good luck! - Jason

Quote Originally Posted by yiibu_steph View Post
    Hi Ron,

Re: The collaboration will encourage developers to create educational applications for consumers around the world, and possibly allow some developers to work with the Sesame Street characters.

How does a company find out if they qualify to actually use the Sesame Street characters?

Stephanie

Hi,

In the case of use of Java ME, can I use some open source frameworks like LWUIT, Floggy, Marge etc.?

Thanks,
    Eloi Jr

You can use whatever you want as long as your are able to run and eventually distribute the application on Nokia phones.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I would like to develop application for N900 and use Qt 4.6 as the GUI library. But Qt 4.6 is not officially available on Maemo 5 yet. Can I still use it?

Thx

Smile Re: Jan 2010 - Calling All Innovators

My innovation has nothing to do with software. It is a hardware which can supplement the efficient functioning of the mobile phone. Can I enter the Contest?

Thanks,

Ravi

CLARIFICATION

Please clarify the contest rules. According to this link Official Rules the competition has two categories:

• Official rules of the 2010 Forum Nokia Calling All Innovators contest
    • Official rules of the Growth Economy Venture Challenge category

The first category is the Innovators Contest we all know and the second is the Growth Economy Venture Challenge which doesn't necessarily have to be a software application or hardware but can be a proposal for a service preferably by an organization.

Does this mean if a software application wins the second category (Venture Challenge), the "investment award" doesn't apply?

Secondly the Call-All-Innov-2010-GEVC-SubmitTemplate form does not have enough space to write all the required details. Can we simply type out the required details on a customized format as long as it includes all the required information?

Thank You.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

There are some things that were not explicit. Please let me know the following:

1. I already have a publisher ID. Does my application (in the form of a SIS), need to be a Certified Signed (or any other signing option) by Symbian?

2. I aim to publish this app to the Ovi store also. Am i allowed to send the app to the contest and later get it published with Ovi or vice-versa? Incase I can send the same app to the contest and also for publishing, shall only removing the logo do the needful?

3. Submit the app as an NFL, doesnt have any constraints, right?

Regards,
    Supriya Tenany

Regular Contributor

I am developing an application with Symbian C++. My questions is do we need to submit a sign application or unsigned .sis will work as well?

If we need to sign an application then we need to go for Express Sign or Certified Sign and that require more time.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by jawadakhtar View Post
    I am developing an application with Symbian C++. My questions is do we need to submit a sign application or unsigned .sis will work as well?

If we need to sign an application then we need to go for Express Sign or Certified Sign and that require more time.
    Hi - to your questions above - while Signed would be better, it is OK to submit an app that is unsigned, too.

Also, please note that the deadline for submissions for the contest has been extended to 10 June 2010.

http://www.callingallinnovators.com/default.aspx

Good Luck! - jason

Hi,

Is it open to both individual developers and companies?

Thanks,
    mghasan

Quote Originally Posted by mghasan View Post
    Hi,

Is it open to both individual developers and companies?

Thanks,
    mghasan
    Quoting from rules page of callingallinnovators.com

ELIGIBILITY:
    This Contest is open to individuals, teams of individuals and business entities in all countries (each individual, each team, each individual member of a team, and each entity is referred to as an "Entrant" in these Official Rules). Entrant(s) must be age 18 or older as of the date of submitting the entry (“Entry”).